S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Chevy S10 extended Cab
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this gauge cluster and I started doing research and I can't find it being referenced anywhere. It looks the exact same as any other gauge cluster with a tach but its got the 7k redline.

What do you guys think?

·
time to get cereal
5,819 Posts
Ouch, I wouldn't have dropped 100 dollars on that... maybe for a manual version, they are harder to find with tachs.

Junkyards by me charge 20-25 for a cluster.

·
Registered
1995 Chevy S10 extended Cab
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ouch, I wouldn't have dropped 100 dollars on that... maybe for a manual version, they are harder to find with tachs.

Junkyards by me charge 20-25 for a cluster.
yeah i was impatient and this is the cluster that I could find that wasn't at 85mph cluster or a 6k cluster. even looking at offerup and craigslist were complete flops

·
time to get cereal
5,819 Posts
Yea, you have to go to a junkyard... if you use ebay and craigslist you are almost always going to pay way more.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
2,066 Posts
why only some? were regional things or was it an option? why can't i find any references to part numbers for these tachs?
I don't fully know exactly, but I believe its something like, from 95-98 the SS option, with an auto, behind a 2.2 had the 7k rpm tach, and later the ZQ8's with 2.2's, but also the manual. The 7k tach is only found with a 2.2, never a 4.3, but there are auto & manual versions of the 7k tach, but it wasn't found on base 2.2's.

When you narrow it down, it was only a few hundred to maybe couple thousands trucks a year, if that, which would have had the 7k tach.

The interesting thing, the resistor used behind the tach needle in the cluster has a different resistor value between the 6k and 7k, and you can swap that resistor to make a 6k into a 7k, but you need a custom faceplate made obviously. I have a few tachs on my workbench shelves as I've been tinkering with this a bit over the years. Partly because my LS swap's redline is well north of 6k haha, but for the moment I've just left it, a future project for another day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts