S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall,
My truck (98 s10 4.3) makes some interesting clicking sounds when its idoling. Its coming from the pully that keeps the belt tight (tensioner mayber?) I had it replaced one time already when it was under warranty, but Its got 40k miles on it now.. so more more free fixes. It moves back forth like one of the pullies is warped or something, BUT, it smooths out when you give it some gas. Can you greese the barrings in it or something? or is it expensive to replace? I think I could do it myself.. but.. I wandered if anybody else has this problem. I had a 2001 s10 with a 4.3 before I got my 98 (drunk pregnate lady creamed it) and it never gave any problems..

ALSO, one more question,

My alternator went out about 3 weeks ago, and the parts store only had one for a 97, but he said it would work fine, so I got it.. well its been working for awhile, BUT sometimes the voltage dropps down to about 10 - 12 till you give it gas.. and it never did that before.. should i swap it for the 98 alternator..or are the exactly the same, like that parts store guy said?

Thanx yall!
Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey bro my v-6 did the same thing. I have a '99 and to fix that noise all I did was put some toothpaste on the top and bottom of the belt, cranked it up and it has been fine ever since. as far as the alternator, mine does the same thing....drops down until I give it gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey jasonpadgett2001,
Mine makes that same noise. I could never figure out what it was. I'll check the pully on mine to see if that's it. I hope I can find it. That's noise bugs the sh*t out of me....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE

Hey, well I took my truck to a buddie of mine that is a mechanic... It turns out, so he says, that the spring in the tensioner has gotten wore out, or too weak to keep the belt tight, and it causes it to bounce back and forth making the noise.. Hopefully that is the only thing thats wrong, I dont have the 80 bucks discount auto wanted for a new one, but as soon as I know for sure if thats it I'll let yall know. Thanx for the suggestions..drop me a line: [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts