S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed a water pump and serpentine. I decided i needed AWD so I got a Saabaru and put Ruby up for sale. I had a buyer and he took it. Was running great then it died like a mile from his house. He said it just cut out, no noise, no jerks, just engine died. It won't start, just turns over, no ignition. Gave him his money back and towed it home.

I am guessing the timing belt,because it has spark and fuel and all the fuses test good. but I have no way of knowing if that is all it needs (plus the water pump, but that is basically the same job in terms of where it is located).

Dropped the price to $600, but buyer will have to tow it and is taking a chance that something got pooched when it died.

What do you S-10 heads think? Any chance replacing the timing belt (and water pump/belt) will get her running again? Or is something likely bent and twisted in there and i should take the $100 the junkyard offered?

Thanks for any insight!

·
time to get cereal
2,448 Posts
There are many reasons why the engine can die... would need more info than that to tell what's going on potentially. I doubt it's the timing chain, they don't break, might jump teeth, but usually the computer can adjust the timing so you don't even know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. Shoulda mentioned 180,000 miles and i was running it on low coolant (fill resevoir, drive 90 minutes to work, fill drive home, repeat) for about 2 weeks..

There doesn't seem to be any compression when it turns over, no Unph feeling, no hint of ignition, just sorta freely spinning til the battery dies. I can hear the fuel pump an smell gas

and the battery is draining super quick.

Tested fuses, tested spark, ran thru the security reset protocol.

That's about all I have.

·
time to get cereal
2,448 Posts
I would check compression, at least pull the plugs out to see if there is coolant in any of the combustion chambers. Was there a visible coolant leak?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. Like all over the driveway coming from the pump. I'll pull the plugs on Saturday and see what i can see. Thanks, man.
bear...
pig

·
Boozebag
9,142 Posts
I bet you blew a timing chain or gear. Which engine do you have?
4.3, 2.2 have timing chains.
2.2 is known for timing chain problems. It has a heat sensitive chain tensioner that goes bad.
The 4.3 has the same chain assembly as a small block.
The 2.5 has a timing gear. The cam gear is a phenolic resin example and is known for stripping
The 2.2 and 4.3 are easy to replace.
The 2.5 needs to have the cam removed in order to change the timing assembly

Easy to determine... Set the timing on number 1 at the front pulley and look at the rotor to see where it's pointing.

·
time to get cereal
2,448 Posts
Yea, and no 2.2L has a rotor. You just have to line up the marks on the gears with cyl 1 TDC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts