S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it legal to reflash your chip? i wanted to keep everything legal and if it isnt. is it easy to get a chip the same year as yours and switch it easily when I/M rolls around.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Legal? I think the Feds would say no.
The law is pretty clear on unapproved mods.
Is there a risk of getting in trouble? Very low risk, probably not a big concern.
If you pass the tests, and keep quiet about mods you are pretty safe.
Remember that a jealous person could turn you in. Once the Feds are on your case they tend to go after offenders aggressively.
I have seen a chip offender get caught.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I disagree. The EPA says:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Installing a retrofit device on a vehicle without having a reasonable basis for knowing that the device will not adversely affect a vehicles emissions may result in civil penalties.

Section 203 (a)(3)(A) and Section 203 (a)(3)(B) of the Clean Air Act prohibits any person from knowingly removing or rendering inoperative any emission control device or
****element of design installed in a motor vehicle engine***
. Civil penalties for a violation of each section are $10,000 and $2,500, respectively. The Clean Air Act amendments of 1990 prohibit individuals from tampering with the emission control devices on in-use vehicles, but EPA's enforcement policy is to not initiate enforcement proceedings against a regulated party who installs a retrofit device if that person has a reasonable basis for knowing that the use of the device will not adversely affect emissions performance. This policy is set out in memorandum 1-A .
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You may talk a good game but the Federal lawyers will play hell with your 'reasonable basis' assumptions.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Reflashing can be done and usually is in this manner. Only at WOT are changes to be allowed, OBD2 has locks to deter tuning in the normal emissions areas and any tuning that is done there must keep pace within emissions standards of the vehicle. If not you are fineable under the emissions laws for tampering and so is the tuner!! Most will state off-road use only , so if caught, your 100% liable. Getting caught can be 2 ways, dealer service work or emissions tests.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so it would be a good idea not to do this then? i was thinking you could get another computer from the same year and just switching it out when emissions come around. if you're not allowed to tamper with emissions then wouldn't the hypertech power programmers be illegal?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hypertech, Superchips etc only change fuel curves for WOT, in the closed loop area they play timing tricks!! Timing really wont change emissions, fuel addage will!

·
ask me about my crabs
81 Posts
the legality of it depends on what you change, it is legal as long as it doesn't adeversely effect your emmisions controls, and you still pass on all test with original smog equipemnt of equivalent installed. If you reflash your computeryou'll be fine as long as you don't **** up your air fuel ratio controls to point that you fail.

Besides, since you say reflash I assume your OBDII, then when you go to dealer or get smog tested just restore it back to stock

·
Registered
88 Posts
man all i have to say is it must suck to have to have you vehicle pass emmisions tests, that is one less thing that im glad i dont have to worry about

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I had a chip on my old truck, I took it to the dealer, I took it to emissions, nothing happened. You're not going to get caught....I even told the guy at emissions I had the thing, I told the dealer too.......I told them all my mods, they didn't care, as long as it wasn't throwing a code the thing is legal for obdII vehicles. except for cali.....And if you take t to the dealer with a chip they'll void your warranty if they find out about it, and/or it will screw up their diagnostic equiptment if they're trying to find a miss or play with timing or something

Caleb

·
Registered
448 Posts
SummerWolf said:
........................................................., as long as it wasn't throwing a code the thing is legal for obdII vehicles. except for cali....
Not true. Getting away with it because your area doesn't catch it is not the same as being Legal.
It is a Federal law that locals test for.
The Feds have the same rules for all states.

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
Federal laws may be the same for all states, but it is true that California ihas their own stricter laws. That's why manuracturers have to make CA specific models.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so if i send my chip away to get reflashed i can probly select what parts of the chip is affected?? if i do this would it be possible to take out the computer by yourself easily and put a duplicate of the original in??

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I'm sorry, but as long as I don't throw a code in my states inspection area....they don't care what I do....the thing could be running on aluminum shavings, and as long as the emissions control devices are there and they plug there scanner up....if it is OBDII it doesn't matter what you do they don't care.....

Caleb

·
Registered
448 Posts
SummerWolf said:
I'm sorry, but as long as I don't throw a code in my states inspection area....they don't care what I do....the thing could be running on aluminum shavings, and as long as the emissions control devices are there and they plug there scanner up....if it is OBDII it doesn't matter what you do they don't care.....

Caleb
True enough.
The original question was
Is it legal?
I still say not legal, but low risk.
Because your local testing procedures don't catch it that doesn't change the letter of the law.
Lax testing procedures are a function of local policy, not Federal Law.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts