S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, well i have a question. My truck is a 1998 S-10, V6, Ext Cab, Manual Tranny with 83k miles on it. Recently i have noticed that when i am driving if i am in 1st gear and i push in the clutch to coast a little but leave the truck in gear, then the tranny makes a pretty loud whining noise / rattling noise until i come to a stop or put it in neutral. It didn't use to do that. It didnt use to while at all i dont think, but now it whines and has a tiny bit of rattle to it. Other than that the tranny seems to be working fine. The only other problem i have out of it is that sometimes it doesnt go into first gear right away when i want to take off, sometimes i will have to let the truck roll a tiny bit then it will go into first, sometimes i can stick it in second and then into first and it will go in fine then, but this isnt all the time, maybe once a week. Any idea whats up, are the synchros going out? I have changed the tranny fluid with new syncromesh (sp) and i know the tranny fluid is full. If there is a problem would it be cheaper to get it fixed now or just wait until she wont go anymore? How can i find out the model of the tranny i have?
- Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WGPV8S10 said:
My new Colorado does that stuff.
Hmm... so maybe its normal? I just never noticed it before. It's better to be over observant than not enough i guess!
- Mike
 

·
the youngest has been
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
im rocking about 230,000 and mine has done it since i bought the truck at 180,000

my buddy bought it before me (i bouht it off him) and it did it since about 140,000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tippmann243 said:
im rocking about 230,000 and mine has done it since i bought the truck at 180,000

my buddy bought it before me (i bouht it off him) and it did it since about 140,000
Good, so at least it doesnt seem like anything to worry about. Kinda sucks mine started doing it at 83,000, but by judging from yours i shouldnt have much to worry about!
- Mike
 

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
Joined
·
9,571 Posts
My truck does the exact same thing. Same engine/trans combo as you, but mine's a 97. Mine started at around 90K. I had a transmission shop tell me that the bearings are bad in it, and it would cost me about $600 to fix. However tippmann243's truck has been doing the same thing for 90k and hasn't gone yet, so I'm just gonna wait for mine to explode before I do anything. So far I've put about 15k on it and it hasn't gone yet :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PSYKO_Inc said:
My truck does the exact same thing. Same engine/trans combo as you, but mine's a 97. Mine started at around 90K. I had a transmission shop tell me that the bearings are bad in it, and it would cost me about $600 to fix. However tippmann243's truck has been doing the same thing for 90k and hasn't gone yet, so I'm just gonna wait for mine to explode before I do anything. So far I've put about 15k on it and it hasn't gone yet :dunno:

Hmm, well my uncle is a mechanic and i am gunna get him to drive it on Monday and see what he says it is, if he thinks its worth fixing now then i will see if i can pay him to do it for me reasonably cheap.. I guess I'll see :rolleyes: I'll let you know what he says it is...
- Mike
 

·
the youngest has been
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
granted my trans is ****ed up, but its due to me beating on it

i have shift fork problems, causing grinding/bad shifting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, yeah that could do it. I have a feeling the previous owner of my truck probably drove it pretty hard if the tranny is messing up. I mean, I drive my truck fast and hard, but i rarely ever do anything wrong to the tranny like dump the clutch, grind gears, etc..
- Mike
 

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
Joined
·
9,571 Posts
I was told that the NV3500 has to be built on a jig, so it'd have to go to a shop that specializes in transmissions. Like I said, mine's been doing it for 15k and hasn't gotten worse. I'm starting to think its just an annoyance and nothing more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PSYKO_Inc said:
I was told that the NV3500 has to be built on a jig, so it'd have to go to a shop that specializes in transmissions. Like I said, mine's been doing it for 15k and hasn't gotten worse. I'm starting to think its just an annoyance and nothing more.

Hmm, we'll see i guess. The shop my uncle works at does work on transmissions, so i guess i will just have to see what he says on monday. I am just gunna be driving my truck alot and putting alot of miles on it going to the next town for college every day and don't want it to die on me, but i guess worst case is that i can drive it until it takes a crap, which it may never do, and then try to find one at a junk yard for cheap
- Mike
 

·
the youngest has been
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
PSYKO_Inc said:
I was told that the NV3500 has to be built on a jig, so it'd have to go to a shop that specializes in transmissions. Like I said, mine's been doing it for 15k and hasn't gotten worse. I'm starting to think its just an annoyance and nothing more.
i was also told then when i was contenplationg rebuilding the nv3500, it turned out to be cheeper to doa t56 swap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tippmann243 said:
i was also told then when i was contenplationg rebuilding the nv3500, it turned out to be cheeper to doa t56 swap
What is invovled in a T56 swap? Does it just bolt in and fit in like our current tranny? I noticed my friend has a 95 S-10 with the V6 5spd and his shifter in the truck comes out of the floor right under the dash, my shifter is pushed back more and the shifter is right in the middle of my center console like a car, do we hav different transmissions? Which one does he have, which one do i have? How can i tell if i have a T5 or NV3500?
- Mike
 

·
the youngest has been
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
you both have nv3500's but the newer models have the shifter mounted further back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tippmann243 said:
you both have nv3500's but the newer models have the shifter mounted further back
Ahhh, just wondering becuase his tranny / shiftings feels totally different than mine.... dont some S10s have T5 trannys? which trucks are those in?
- Mike
 

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
Joined
·
9,571 Posts
I think the T5 was only in 1st gen trucks. I think they were behind the 2.5 and 2.8. My 97 has the shifter way forward as well. Somehow I think that's gonna make it a pain in the ass to find a console when I put in bucket seats :(
 

·
the youngest has been
Joined
·
4,358 Posts
PSYKO_Inc said:
I think the T5 was only in 1st gen trucks. I think they were behind the 2.5 and 2.8. My 97 has the shifter way forward as well. Somehow I think that's gonna make it a pain in the ass to find a console when I put in bucket seats :(
94 adn 95 2.2's also got the t5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which tranny is a batter tranny the T5 or the one we have? Would a T5 work in my truck and bolt right up?
- Mike
 

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
Joined
·
9,571 Posts
You'd have to find a T5 out of a 4.3L Astro (very rare) to have the right bellhousing to do the swap. The T-5 would still be just about as weak as the NV3500 IMO. I haven't really found a good transmission to swap in other than a T56, but even that isn't rated to tow anything, so it would be no good for my use anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,370 Posts
As far as not being to tow anything with a t56, Its got to be stronger overall than a nv3500 And ive pulled a couple really heavy trailers with the stock nv3500. Like 4000 lbs or so. but it wasn't very far and you needed to use low gears.... but it didnt break... yet
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top