S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob here. I just bought an 85 S10 4x4 yesterday and have a couple of questions. It's a 4x4, but there are no locking hubs on it. Since the light is out on the floor shifter, how can I tell if this thing is in 4 wheel drive? Also, when I first start it and drive it, every time I push the clutch in, the engine revs pretty high. Is this because of the carb? Maybe it needs a new spring? When I'm done driving, I can smell fuel. Thanks.

Uncle Jesse

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,463 Posts
moving the shifter it should lock in then youll feel a difference in driving. and it sounds like the carb needs some fine tuning.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
ya it is like a front wheel drive car it has constant velocity joints so the front axles are always turning there is vacume line going into something on your pass side wheel well it then goes into a cable that pushes the gears in the front diff together locking in the front diff works the same way as my dads 95 dodge 4x4.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
check idle speed screw and for throttle return resistance it should have some, enough to pull throttle shut on its own

if not then its broken

vacuum leak bad hose or pcv connection can cause high idle too

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check idle speed screw and for throttle return resistance it should have some, enough to pull throttle shut on its own

if not then its broken

vacuum leak bad hose or pcv connection can cause high idle too
Ok guys, I took some pics and put some questions on them. The biggest thing right now is that the emissions are poor (I can smell fuel all the time) and it backfires/pops out of the tailpipe when I rev it quickly. Have a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Jesse

Attachments

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Ok guys, I took some pics and put some questions on them. The biggest thing right now is that the emissions are poor (I can smell fuel all the time) and it backfires/pops out of the tailpipe when I rev it quickly. Have a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Jesse

So here is your answers
1. No
2. breather hose that would go to #1
3 evap lines I wouldn't worry
4 yes its to heat the intake air for cold wether usually a flexible tube
5 yes
6 refer to #4

also best thing is to rebuild the carb and check over the distributor and do a tune up on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here is your answers
1. No
5 yes
6 refer to #4

also best thing is to rebuild the carb and check over the distributor and do a tune up on it.
Ok so what do I do about #1? There is smoke coming out of it all the time. I think I've seen what goes in there before, I had one on my 77 blazer, but I'm not sure what it is called.

I'm taking it to my tech and having a tune up. Thanks!

Jesse

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Ok so what do I do about #1? There is smoke coming out of it all the time. I think I've seen what goes in there before, I had one on my 77 blazer, but I'm not sure what it is called.

I'm taking it to my tech and having a tune up. Thanks!

Jesse
I can't think of the term but its basically oil fumes not smoke really. yeah it would be the same thing as an old 77 blazer. go hit up a junk yard in your area and take a look and get another one.

I know a bit about these lil trucks check my sig, let me refraze that, about those years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't think of the term but its basically oil fumes not smoke really. yeah it would be the same thing as an old 77 blazer. go hit up a junk yard in your area and take a look and get another one.

I know a bit about these lil trucks check my sig, let me refraze that, about those years.
Valve breather?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
So here is your answers
1. No
5 yes
6 refer to #4

i agree on the distributer my truck did the same thing turns out it was one of the wires gong from the ignition module to the diffy with the vacuum advance it broke one of those wires after time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts