S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change the transmission fluid in my '92 S-10. This is a first for me. Ambient temp here is 75. One item I read said to drive at least 20 miles before draining the old AT fluid (I know to remove the fill plug first). I warm up the engine when changing the motor oil, but I wouldn't think ATF needed to be warmed up. I'd rather not work right under the hot exhaust if it's not necessary,

What do you guys think?

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Not when using ATF now if you had gear oil, it will only aid on quicker draining

Reactions: av8r115

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a bit off the original topic, but has anyone switched from ATF to 50wt gear oil on the older T5 transmission? I came across a 2015 article by MDL that said Tremec now recommends 50wt gear oil for the old NWC T5 because the synchros are bronze and the original Dexron II is no longer available.

·
Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
140 Posts
This is a bit off the original topic, but has anyone switched from ATF to 50wt gear oil on the older T5 transmission? I came across a 2015 article by MDL that said Tremec now recommends 50wt gear oil for the old NWC T5 because the synchros are bronze and the original Dexron II is no longer available.
Oil that thick might make it more difficult to shift, depending on the conditions of your synchronizers and the temperatures you drive in. If you really need thicker oil, then use sae 30. But it's really not necessary. Atf is fine for a t5. I've been known to add a 1/2 qt of mystic 80w90 to quiet one down if there is a little gear noise. The thinner oil circulates faster, makes it to the bearings faster, and cools faster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts