S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1985 S-10 with a 350 V8, the only problem with the truck is that it has a bad tranny. The guy is including a good used tranny with the truck. He is asking $1500.00. (Also how hard is it to put the new automatic tranny in?)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Putting a transmission in isn't fun but it's pretty easy to do. A Transmission jack makes it WORLDS easier so if you can find one borrow it! Aside from that the only other problem you may run into is getting the exhaust out of the way. Make sure you have about 4 foot of extensions to get the top trans bots out, and take the crossmember down before you try to get to them (the trans will tip down and make them easier to get to). 1500 is a decent buy so long as everything else is in good shape. I'de still tell him I'de only pay 1200 and see what he says :tup:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
the tranny should be pretty easy to do especially if you do a 700r4. the 4.3 s10s had 700r4 from the factory so all you need to do is get all the linkage parts and tranny crossmember from a 2wd 4.3 s10 1993 and older just for ease

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
swapping out a bad transmission is a whole lot easier than putting a v8 in a vehicle without one. buy the thing!

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
i traded my 91 s10 in and got $1500. 2.5l 5 speed, 101,000 miles on it, cavi seats, headliner, 95% of engine replaced, chrome front end (hit a deer) so i put a 94 blazer front end on, had little to no body rust, other than the 80% fiberglass rockers, couldnt even tell.

a guy that stalked the truck bought it from them the next morning for $2000.

i bought it for 2250 when i had it but it was in good condition and still was when i sold it.

so 1500 for that is worth it.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
If its a V8 you want and all it needs is a tranny go for it. But when swapping the tranny you may also want to consider pulling the distributer cap off as it may hit the firewall and break.

·
ASE certified MasterTech
8,695 Posts
I LOVE that heatercore bypass hes got going on!
Damn linkage is a PITA,im working on a Blazer,2.8 originally with column shift,I can not for the life of me get the right linkage to work on the 350/700R4,maybe I'll get a 4.3 linkage and try that............thanks for the idea!

·
I am looking at a 1985 S-10 with a 350 V8, the only problem with the truck is that it has a bad tranny. The guy is including a good used tranny with the truck. He is asking $1500.00. (Also how hard is it to put the new automatic tranny in?)

I would go for it...

...but I'd also look that thing over for half-a$sed work!
The radiator has wires holding the top to the core support -that should be corrected. That return spring has got to be fixed.
I looks like it will need a heater core - I've never done one on an s-10 so ya might wanna look into it -shouldn't be hard.
There may be a lot of little things to fix! and if your not into doing that, you may end up giving up on it...

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I LOVE that heatercore bypass hes got going on!
Damn linkage is a PITA,im working on a Blazer,2.8 originally with column shift,I can not for the life of me get the right linkage to work on the 350/700R4,maybe I'll get a 4.3 linkage and try that............thanks for the idea!
The 4.3 column linkage (braket on the bottom of the column) is different along with a different rod. SOOO maybe that is why you are having troubles with the 2.8's. May have trouble with just a 4.3 rod as well.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Whats wrong with that return spring! It looks like it goes to the carb from the head and then over to the steering column. :D
There is something else I just picked up though. It lloks like there is an older head on the right bank because I cant see any accesorie holes in it.

·
I'm slap happy, bitches!
2,178 Posts
does it have a 700 now?
no wonder its fried, that holley has to go. you MUST have tv cable hooked up, or you will get really good at getting a tranny out.

i hate to say this, but find a good q-jet, and a fullsize truck with a 350 or 700 throttle bracket, and use it for the tv cable.

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
Whats wrong with that return spring! It looks like it goes to the carb from the head and then over to the steering column. :D
There is something else I just picked up though. It lloks like there is an older head on the right bank because I cant see any accesorie holes in it.
:rotf: Looks perfect!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You can get the parts to hood up a TV cable onto a holley. I can't see if there is one on it or not in that mess. It must be the spring in the away of my vision.

·
Registered
300 Posts
VERY good call on the distributor, those big cap HEI's will be tight just sitting in there, when it goes to rock back you'll be in trouble if you don't remove it. Also does the truck have a floor shifter in it? Also what trans is he giving you to go into it?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not impressed! Tell him that and 0ffer 700! No more than 800..You got alot of fixin on that ride..The little sh*t adds up quick...You have to tow it home, R&I the trans, Fix the mess under the hood and then who knows how it runs and drives after that....It could have 150k miles on motor! Times or hard and moneys tight! I bet he is hard up and needs the cash so just about any reasonable offer he'll take...Everybody is hard up for money these days...Just dont get excited and over bid on a turd that you wil get nickled and dime on in the long run! Good luck...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts