S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 reasons.

1) A solid rear end has more tendancy to hop, the independant rear setup should (theoretically) stick to the road better.

2) Would be easier to tune & more adjustable.

3) Just sounds cool.

·
Registered
224 Posts
hmmm....

I have seen them done, and have done the swap on other cars, but here are some things you should consider:

1) A corvette is a much wider car, so the top perches, the spring, the mounts, and the half shafts all need to be narrowed. If you have access to jigs as well as a tig welder, and are an experienced fabricator, this won't be too expensive. If you don't, expect to pay in the neighborhood of 2000 on up to have just this fab work done...
2) The corvette is a much heavier car than any s-10, and as such the suspension is designed for that. You can fool with different spring and shock rates(check out Dick Guldstrand motorsports), but in truth you might find your rearend so stiff, that it will hop even more. Also one of the reasons a vette handles so well is where the weight sits in the car, if you have sat in one you no doubt will understand what I am saying. They are designed so most of the weight sits below the center of gravity. Same goes for most indepenently suspended sports cars.
3) Because the corvette is a wider and heavier car, the rear suspension unit is designed to work as built. When you go and fool with it, by narrowing it and such(plus I think you will end up having to change the shock mounting points) It won't work right at all. I know this from experience, as we have put Corvette rear ends in a few 32'fords... The only thing a corvette rearend works in is a corvette-plain and simple.

We put a 93 vette rear sub in a 55 Chevy hardtop back in 96', and now the guy is scheduling to have it taken out and replaced with a standard triangulted 4 link and airride system. While this rearend looks kool, all polished up, he found out there was absolutely no benefit for using it.

If you are still interested in going IRS, I suggest you look into maybe a Heidts rear suspension system. They are meant for hotrods, and when you look at what a hotrod weighs, as compared to an s-10, you will find they are much closer in weight. Plus Heidts can help you with the spring rates and the like. HOWEVER... Don't sh-t a brick when you find out the rear suspension system costs as much as some trucks do(complete you are probably looking at around 7-8000(thousand!), plus the fab and labor to put in an s-10 frame.

Didn't mean to drop a bomb on you there or anything, just letting you know from someone who has dealt with this crap firsthand. Personally when a customer asks about this mod, I tell them if they plan on using the vehicle, to not fool with doing this. But by all means if you go through with it, let's see some pics! Cause when they are polished up, they no doubt do look kool!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I have to agree with ARCdidit about the vette rear end. To shorten the axles enought o work, would cause some serious driveaxle issues because they would be so short.
On the other hand, There are IRS' out of cars that are close to the right width. Check RX7's, 300zx's, and supra's for a start. I haven't done a S10, but I have done some imports with RX7's. And my own truck has a 300zx rear in it.

Larry
www.innovativeairsuspension.com

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are designed so most of the weight sits below the center of gravity.
sorry, i had to laugh about this...:nono:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yep, alot of fiberglass, but the fockers are still heavy as hell. Lots of extra metal in the frame to make up for the lack of structural integrity lost to the fiberglass body.

·
Registered
224 Posts
and...

I may have messed up on the below center of gravity bit, as that may not be an accurate description. However, they are designed so that the bulk of the weight sits below the center of the wheels...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry it took me so long to get back....

ARC,

Point true. I just wanted to see what everyone had to say. You know how it is when one of those thoughts crosses your mind and you start thinking about it and....

Anyway, thanks.

J

·
Registered
66 Posts
what i meant was that the center of gravity is just that, where the center of all of the weight is. the cg is a weighted average of where the car's weight is. not a flame, just focking with you.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I have ton's of pics, but since photopoint closed I don't have much online. Email me at [email protected] asking for some pics and I'll email you some.

Aaron, thanks for the props. Good to see you here. We need someone here that knows somethin' about airride :bah:
Larry
www.innovativeairsuspension.com :

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.