S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an E code Block and also I have an A Code head, will they work together and if so what all can be done to the head to make it better, porting machining the head down for more compression? Or bigger valves?, also what pistons will work, like if I got a 350 piston that is .30 over could that work with the stroke and just have the block bored and honed, also what cam options are available, I won’t be running egr or tbi so what Carb should I get? Thanks for any input you have just trying to make a decent duke for a fun project

·
time to get cereal
2,628 Posts
Look at the stickies in this section, they will probably help you out.

·
Boozebag
9,175 Posts
There's quite a bit you can do to these lumps.
Many cams are available, expensive headers, distributors, (big block Chevy) roller rockers, pushrods, etc.
You can bolt an 'A' head onto an 'E' block with the correct combination of push rods and rocker arms. Supposedly... the 'A' head is the highest horsepower producer.

BEWARE though...……….. they made a ton of different heads for this engine. I had an 'A' head from a FWD that looked identical to a RWD 'A' head. they DO NOT interchange. There are 2 head bolts that are in different locations!
At the top of this section read "Healthy Duke Rebuild"
I will be adding more information to the thread later. I built another performance 2.5 and added more performance parts.

BTW, there are very few performance intakes for these engines. The earliest versions (82 to 85) had Offenhauser 2 and 4 barrel intakes available, and Holley made a special intake for the 86-87 Fiero that they had a larger throttle body for the custom Holley intake.
Anything newer, you will have to fabricate something for a carb adapter or build an intake from pipe or modify a stocker.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an E code Block and also I have an A Code head, will they work together and if so what all can be done to the head to make it better, porting machining the head down for more compression? Or bigger valves?, also what pistons will work, like if I got a 350 piston that is .30 over could that work with the stroke and just have the block bored and honed, also what cam options are available, I won’t be running egr or tbi so what Carb should I get? Thanks for any input you have just trying to make a decent duke for a fun project
The head with will work in ur block but u need the A intake. A code does have better flow E and A are the best.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The head with will work in ur block but u need the A intake. A code does have better flow E and A are the best.
I went carburetor on mine I would like to go to Holley 2bbl sniper but I'm old school and like carburetors I have a lot info if u have questions. I'm running 11:85 seconds in 1-8th mile with automatic transmission not to shabby. It took me a while to figure out what all to do to mine and where to get parts. I'm running a custom ground roller cam Camcraft in Arden NC. Ground it for me for 200.00
9FDEFB68-5944-426A-A1B9-26CE21768A16.jpeg
8D47F77C-A450-4D5C-9404-402928F1BC1F.png
ABD21A5D-FE1E-4DB7-B79A-DD5F1BE20AEA.jpeg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts