S-10 Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Customizing Rust
64 Posts
Just my 2 cents(for what its worth) back in my hot roddin days, I replaced plugs like they were going out of style. Both Autolites and Champs were the worst about fouling. One day I decided to change it up and bought a set of NGK at that time (20 yrs ago) they were cheaper than the others, not as well known. Now they are a little better known and run about the same as the big name, but I have never had one go bad out of the box. I use them in everything that has a motor and will never buy the others again, just a personal preference thing (IMHO). I believe the PN. for the 2.5 is 2248 (NGK UR55) for the V-power copper, about 2.10 ea. at Advance.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Personally I don't like NGK plugs because I have bought a few small engines with them in and they seem to burn differently than the Champions. I know several engines that I was having problems with had NGK's in them and they looked like brand new, but when I replaced them with Champions they ran perfect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
what are some performance parts to start with for a stock 91 s10 with the 2.5? it is a 5 speed manual and im not sure on the rear end gearing, but 5th gear has no guts on a highway. I cant maintain 65 without giving it 3/4 throttle and it has 235/75/r15 tires front and back. I will have a budget of 600

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Best start reading up on our threads.......such as '40 mpg out of an S10'.........about all you can expect is to get your truck running in tip top shape. You could spend a little bit of coin and put a mild towing cam in, some exhaust work, and that's about it. Your best bet is do perform all of the 'tricks' covered in our mpg threads. I had no problem cruising at 65-70 mph in my '91 with the 2.5/5 speed; and my truck was not modified other then being lowered. I was getting an average of 30-32 mpg during the summer/fall months before I pulled the truck off the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Iron Duke Info Threads; How To; 2.5 power steering pressure switch

I have a 90 GMC with a 2.5, came from factory without power steering. I finally located a complete set-up except not wire harness for the pressure switch. My question is where does the switch connect to in the wire harness? Also where does the fluid resvoir mounts on. Do I need the original steering box that was used on the power unit or can I go with my non power steering box? Any help and pictures will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Iron Duke Info Threads; on to the 700 Series TBI..

steady eddie, i have read your posts and have been having an issue similar to the ones in thisspecific section. I have an 85 s10 durango stnd cab long bed 2wd 4spd. I have had a bunch of codes 33, 34 35, 42 and 44. only 35 and 44 have repeated 2x. Since changing the egr no more codes but it still idles rough and when warm and throttle is applied it wants to stall like it's being choked. I haven't found any vacuum leaks, I haven't checked fuel pressure either. I have replaced the map sensor, o2 sensor, egr valve, IAC, ign module. still having issues. any suggestions, i plan on checking fuel pressure next. I have the original GM service manual for this particular truck/year. and that has been very helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry it has a 2.5l VIN E about 150k. last year the engine peaked out the gauge, could a damaged head gasket be the cause or part of the cause? I don't get any abnormal steam/water from exhaust nor odd smell from exhaust as in anti-freeze odor.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: Iron Duke Info Threads; How To; Results..

What changed when the air flow to the TBI was corrected?? The Duke now sounds much better, and much more like a BMW 4-cylinder than a ricer..it is one of those "all good" mods, one that was cheap to do. The incoming charge air flow now goes where it should go, with no great influx of hot under-hood air or turbulence.

Now the OE CAI system is working "as-designed" and with a new NAPA Gold filter element it flows like crazy..the only thing(s) purchased was/were a tube of "sensor safe" black sealant ($6) and a new filter element. It is one of those
"Stealth Mods" that looks box stock, but isn't...

Cool ambient air to the TBI is much more dense and dense air holds more Oxygen (O2), all good..

Stay tuned..:)
Eddie what is this worth in terms of hp/performance? have you guys ever tested your 2.5 on the dyno? I have a stock 92 5speed vin code A. What is the max hp I can have and still get 32mpg highway and 20 city?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having problems with my 91 gmc Sonoma 2.5 idling high even after it warms up I done changed my thermostat my map sensor plugs fuel filter and nothing has changed when I unplug my map sensor it's idle down like normal but then runs like crap n uses gas any solution to this madness

101 - 110 of 110 Posts