S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any run these with there 4.3l? Im thinking about either going with some denso or ngk ones and a set of msd wires. I know most stick with the delco plug but i was looking for a little more performance out of a set of plugs.(If these even provide more)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Iridium is harder that titanium so they are suposed to last longer. They seem to give poor performance compared to OE. If your vehicle did not come with them then don't waste the extra money on them.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
i did put a set of rapid fires in my truck, they lasted 5,000 miles before they caused all kinds of misfires and driveability problems. I recommend running teh delco or Autolite. I am running autolite now, but will be changeing back to delco in a few days.

·
I'm a huge ass
10,798 Posts
Iridium is harder that titanium so they are suposed to last longer. They seem to give poor performance compared to OE. If your vehicle did not come with them then don't waste the extra money on them.
Werd!
For something like plugs, what the factory installs is the best possilbe unit out there! It's meant to work as a team with everything else, and isn't something to be messed with...

·
your opinion sucks
2,890 Posts
Does any run these with there 4.3l? Im thinking about either going with some denso or ngk ones and a set of msd wires. I know most stick with the delco plug but i was looking for a little more performance out of a set of plugs.(If these even provide more)
Delco. Not really a lot of extra performance or gas milage change with different plugs.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
S15vortecpwr;4324504[B said:
]i did put a set of rapid fires in my truck, they lasted 5,000 miles before they caused all kinds of misfires and driveability problems.[/B] I recommend running teh delco or Autolite. I am running autolite now, but will be changeing back to delco in a few days.
I used the Rapid fires once when they first came out and was not impressed with them at all.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
i did put a set of rapid fires in my truck, they lasted 5,000 miles before they caused all kinds of misfires and driveability problems. I recommend running teh delco or Autolite. I am running autolite now, but will be changeing back to delco in a few days.
Don't bother. The AC Delco ones are made by Autolite.

Also, this should put some things to rest:

1. Iridium plugs are better than OE. They provide a stronger more condensed spark, they last longer, and they take less of a required voltage to fire the gap at pressure. In lamens terms, they perform better.

2. Iridium used on spark plugs is NOT hard. Its actually very soft. If you don't believe me, waste a couple bucks and push on it with a flathead. You will bend the electrode easily. But the hardness has nothing to do with its durability. So they DO last longer (much much longer!) compared to copper core electrodes which I think are made of inconnel.

3. Autolite XP iridium plugs are BY FAR the most economic and best performing iridium spark plug on the market. Expect to see shelf prices of $6 per plug for the Autolite compared to $10+ for NGKs and $13+ for the Densos. The Autolite also has a platinum pad on the ground electrode providing much longer life than the NGK or Denso plugs. The Denso plugs are actually only supposed to be used for up to 30k miles.

4. You won't notice any gas mileage increases. But they will perform better longer. The gap HARDLY wears on an Autolite iridium plug, even at 100k miles. So they will provide the best performance for the longest time compared to copper core OE.

5. Most of the Ac Delco plugs now are made by Autolite. The others are made by NGK. Ac went down when Delphi went down. The rapidfire plugs now are a better design than the old Ac plugs were.

I don't wanna sounnd like a smartass, but I used to co-op at Autolite so I know my way around spark plugs.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Don't bother. The AC Delco ones are made by Autolite.

Also, this should put some things to rest:

1. Iridium plugs are better than OE. They provide a stronger more condensed spark, they last longer, and they take less of a required voltage to fire the gap at pressure. In lamens terms, they perform better.

2. Iridium used on spark plugs is NOT hard. Its actually very soft. If you don't believe me, waste a couple bucks and push on it with a flathead. You will bend the electrode easily. But the hardness has nothing to do with its durability. So they DO last longer (much much longer!) compared to copper core electrodes which I think are made of inconnel.

3. Autolite XP iridium plugs are BY FAR the most economic and best performing iridium spark plug on the market. Expect to see shelf prices of $6 per plug for the Autolite compared to $10+ for NGKs and $13+ for the Densos. The Autolite also has a platinum pad on the ground electrode providing much longer life than the NGK or Denso plugs. The Denso plugs are actually only supposed to be used for up to 30k miles.

4. You won't notice any gas mileage increases. But they will perform better longer. The gap HARDLY wears on an Autolite iridium plug, even at 100k miles. So they will provide the best performance for the longest time compared to copper core OE.

5. Most of the Ac Delco plugs now are made by Autolite. The others are made by NGK. Ac went down when Delphi went down. The rapidfire plugs now are a better design than the old Ac plugs were.

I don't wanna sounnd like a smartass, but I used to co-op at Autolite so I know my way around spark plugs.
So is there some other kind of Iridium??? Iridium is one of the hardest substances. (Hard and brittle) It is used to harden platnum. Iridium is also rare on earth. Plentiful in metorites. That is probly why the autolites with the platnum tips are cheaper. But it is still a hard substance. Look it up. Makes your knowledge on spark plugs questionable.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses! So i should just stick with some delco rapid fires? The autolite iridiums sound interesting..i might have to look into those. Also is it worth it to upgrade to msd wires? Im not looking to do this stuff cuz im up there in milage..my 03 has like 9,700 miles on it..i was just looking for a little better performing plug (if there was one) and better performing wires that dress things up under the hood a little.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
So is there some other kind of Iridium??? Iridium is one of the hardest substances. (Hard and brittle) It is used to harden platnum. Iridium is also rare on earth. Plentiful in metorites. That is probly why the autolites with the platnum tips are cheaper. But it is still a hard substance. Look it up. Makes your knowledge on spark plugs questionable.
Since you know everything, you know that iridium came from the infamous metor that killed the dinosaurs. There is a thin iridium layer in the earths crust in which iridium is ored from. And also, since you know it all, you must know that the iridium tip in an Autolite spark plug is only 55% iridium. Its also partially platinum and gold palladium.

And sure pure iridium is hard. But a .4/.6mm diameter rivet with 55% iridium content isn't. I guess I could go as far as bending an electrode for you, but I know what I say is true and I'm not going to waste a spark plug on your ignorance. You may potentially know something about another subject, but you clearly don't know anything about spark plugs. Get a job with a manufacturer and then start talking. To this point all of your comments have been based upon one inconsistant data point of your experience with Rapid Fires, which aren't even manufactured by Ac anymore.

As far as wires go, I don't really have alot of experience with that. Autolite outsources all of their wires, so we didn't do any testing. But for a stock/mild application, stock wires are just fine. You're not going to see any performance gains with MSD or any other hi-dollar wires.

And lastly, I think an iridium plug (specifically Autolite for their price) is a great investment and great security knowing that you won't have to change them for another 100k miles. The other manufactureres (IE: Denso/NGK) don't provide the same warranty or durability as an Autolite either, as previously stated.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Since you know everything, you know that iridium came from the infamous metor that killed the dinosaurs. There is a thin iridium layer in the earths crust in which iridium is ored from. And also, since you know it all, you must know that the iridium tip in an Autolite spark plug is only 55% iridium. Its also partially platinum and gold palladium.

And sure pure iridium is hard. But a .4/.6mm diameter rivet with 55% iridium content isn't. I guess I could go as far as bending an electrode for you, but I know what I say is true and I'm not going to waste a spark plug on your ignorance. You may potentially know something about another subject, but you clearly don't know anything about spark plugs. Get a job with a manufacturer and then start talking. To this point all of your comments have been based upon one inconsistant data point of your experience with Rapid Fires, which aren't even manufactured by Ac anymore.
Yes I knew all that and mentioned it all pretty much in my post but without all the detail. I am really not the one here trying to sound like a smartass.
My comments are not based upon my expirience with Rapid Fires. It is not based on working for a manufacture. It is based on working on many vehicles for 20+ years as a mechanic. So I don't have the B.S. data a manufacture uses to promote thier item. What a manufacture does not see is customers come in and complain of low performance, fuel economy, loss of power.... I got that data. I don't see the plugs perform under perfect test conditions. I see them perform under real life conditions. You may think you have it all with the book learning but you have nothing! You get more from the actual hands on expiriences.

·
Registered
632 Posts
With all of this information, do you still gap the iridiums? I've been told that you can not gap the v power NGK's, don't know if this is a myth or not.
But by gapping the iridiums will it mess the plug up?
I know this sounds really stupid, but geeesh, you hear so many stories.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
With all of this information, do you still gap the iridiums? I've been told that you can not gap the v power NGK's, don't know if this is a myth or not.
But by gapping the iridiums will it mess the plug up?
I know this sounds really stupid, but geeesh, you hear so many stories.
Yes you can gap them, but not the conventional way. You have to bend the ground strap (ground electrode) without touching the center electrode, as it will easily deform. You can do this with using the cable cutter inside end of a pair of needle nose pliers. You can grab the end of the ground strap and tug it up slightly to increase the gap. You also need to use feeler gauges as opposed to the $0.99 Autozone circular gap tool.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Yes I knew all that and mentioned it all pretty much in my post but without all the detail. I am really not the one here trying to sound like a smartass.
My comments are not based upon my expirience with Rapid Fires. It is not based on working for a manufacture. It is based on working on many vehicles for 20+ years as a mechanic. So I don't have the B.S. data a manufacture uses to promote thier item. What a manufacture does not see is customers come in and complain of low performance, fuel economy, loss of power.... I got that data. I don't see the plugs perform under perfect test conditions. I see them perform under real life conditions. You may think you have it all with the book learning but you have nothing! You get more from the actual hands on expiriences.

With "20+ years of experience" I would figure you know more than you do. The only thing you're doing is littering this thread with your supposed knowledge, just like every other "old school mechanic" on this board who knows everything.

And I'm not in the business of promoting ANY PRODUCT. That wasn't my job when I worked for Honeywell nor is it what I'm doing now. I'm just trying to give the original person who made this thread actual information on whats available and whats the best bang for the buck. I grew very partial to Autolite during my time working there because of their quality, price, warranty, and availability. I stopped working there and I still use their plugs. I just bought some at Autozone a few days ago.

And are you honestly going to sit there and think a spark plug manufacturer doesn't do testing in "real life conditions"? You've got to be kidding me. There was cases upon cases of spark plugs I came across while working at Honeywell which were used in fleet vehicles. Is this not "real life conditions?" They also do testing, far beyond what any spark plug would see, in engines in dyno cells.

So I'm done. The more I type the more I realize that you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you could go through some of my old posts about spark plugs and learn something.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
With "20+ years of experience" I would figure you know more than you do. The only thing you're doing is littering this thread with your supposed knowledge, just like every other "old school mechanic" on this board who knows everything.

And I'm not in the business of promoting ANY PRODUCT. That wasn't my job when I worked for Honeywell nor is it what I'm doing now. I'm just trying to give the original person who made this thread actual information on whats available and whats the best bang for the buck. I grew very partial to Autolite during my time working there because of their quality, price, warranty, and availability. I stopped working there and I still use their plugs. I just bought some at Autozone a few days ago.

And are you honestly going to sit there and think a spark plug manufacturer doesn't do testing in "real life conditions"? You've got to be kidding me. There was cases upon cases of spark plugs I came across while working at Honeywell which were used in fleet vehicles. Is this not "real life conditions?" They also do testing, far beyond what any spark plug would see, in engines in dyno cells.

So I'm done. The more I type the more I realize that you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you could go through some of my old posts about spark plugs and learn something.
Its a good thing we have you here because you actualy do know everything! :rolleyes:
I know there are test done on many items all the way to tires on race cars and motorcycles. But what I am talking about is how many times have you had a customer come in and tell you thier vehicle is lacking in performance after they did a tune up a short time ago and they said they spent the extra money on Iridium plugs because that is what some smart guy at the parts counter recomended. Then you go and see if it was recomended equipment and see its not so you install the recomended type plugs and get a good report from the customer on how happy they are that was the only thing wrong with thier vehicle. That is real life. Not what you pull out of a fleet vehicle that may be ****ed up every where else and look at.
And I hope your done. I am not going to look back at your post. I will be damned if I want to learn anything from a person with a piss poor attitude towards others like you. Do the letters F O mean anything to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Denso also makes some AC Delco plugs.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Since you know everything, you know that iridium came from the infamous metor that killed the dinosaurs.
Well, if we're talking about knowing everything.... does this mean they finally proved that theory true? :haha: (sorry, couldn't resist)

I don't really have any opinions on iridium plugs, but AC Delco Rapidfire plugs have always been spoken highly of and I've never encountered a difficulty with one in my S10. Sure, they're $4 at the auto store, but you can find them online for a bit cheaper... just buy ahead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ditto to what sonoma99beast said about the Bosch.
Only variation was that I installed the Bosch 2+2 (walmart didn't have the 4+4)

Did this at 93,000 miles.
Engine always seemed to run fine...probably same as it did when I bought it at 36k miles.

Did this as more of a maintenance item.
But afterwards, it ran smooth like velvet.
Pretty impressed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have used NGK For some time. I haven't had much luck with Autolies or Bosch. AcDelco performed well. Right now i have been using NGK Iridium in my truck. They have about 80k Miles on them and they are just now starting to break down. I am not misfiring or anything just rough very mild rough idle. I recommend the NGK i have them in my bike, boat and truck. Never had any dissapointments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts