Discussion Starter #4
last one

Holy Hole :angel: ...

last one...

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
That is a lot of Red! Did you prime the dash first? What type of primer did you use if you did?

Thanx

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prime prime

Lots and lots and lots of sanding on the main dash. It is soft material on there so you really have to sand to get the grain out. I used 250 sand paper and then 330 paper. Primed and sanded then primed and primed. The painted a few coats. Lastly used the clear coat on it.

We had some 80+ degree days here and the sun hasnt damaged it at all so far.....it should be fine.

What a task to get it out and back in though......whewwwwwwwww! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Do ya have any pics of the finished project?

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STILL WORKING

It is still in the works......I will post some more when I get a chance.

I am tweeding everything else. I also bought to Hundi Accent bucket seats ($30) that I have to get covered. I am trying to make a center console and I ordered a southpark cc steering wheel that has been on back order for like a month.

It is a hell of a tough project but it keeps me out oh trouble....lol:booty: :booty:

Lowtech

·
Gauge Moddin'
38 Posts
Dude, that looks sweet. I see that you are doing a first gen conversion, too, that's awesome! What is the front clip? A Studebaker or something else? Looks cool, keep up the good work!:thumbup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks

oldskls10 said:
Dude, that looks sweet. I see that you are doing a first gen conversion, too, that's awesome! What is the front clip? A Studebaker or something else? Looks cool, keep up the good work!:thumbup:
I see your from Hendersonville. Are you going to Lebanon this month? Should be pretty kewl.

Your right it's a 1st gen with body kit. Changes the looks just a bit. ;)

·
Gauge Moddin'
38 Posts
Actually I have never been to the show in Lebanon, I've only been in TN for less than 2 years and just moved to H'ville late last year. I'm gonna try to make it up there this time tho, I hear it's pretty cool. What are the dates again?

·
And one bad S-15 Jimmy!
237 Posts
Re: Re: STILL WORKING

scottpow said:
LowTech said:
It is still in the works......I will post some more when I get a chance.

Very kewl. I know the feeling. I just re-did my dash. I'm almost finished:

If you want to see the rest, here's a link:

My Website

Where did you get that dash and how much was it? I'm looking for something diffrent for my project S-10 and that looks perfect!

·
Registered
939 Posts
i see you did a cut out on your s-10 that looks very cool i dont know if i want to do a cut out and put subs behind the seat or cut out to make my bed liek a bandpass box looks good keep up the work

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: Re: Re: STILL WORKING

One Bad S-10 said:

Where did you get that dash and how much was it? I'm looking for something diffrent for my project S-10 and that looks perfect!

looks to me like the ultimate customs dash swap....www.ultimatecustoms.com i beleive they are styled after early 90's grand ams or grand prix's they also have a 60's impala dash replica

joshey

·
Too damn old for this sh*
2,373 Posts
...all this painting sounds good... but...

As we all know, the heat inside the cab can reach oven temperatures. Combine that with the fact that the dash material is soft. Wouldn't that make the paint on the dash crack after a while? I mean, with all the expansion and contraction, plus fading from direct sunlight? I dunno, maybe your using a paint with more potent properties, but it seems to me like your gonna be pulling that dash every few months, or maybe years, to sand it back down and do it again...

Also, I've heard of people using a dye on the "soft" part. I would think this might be a little bit better since a dye would be able to cope with expansion and contraction better... but I digress...

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeh i thought about that and was holding my breath the first few direct sun 80 + degree days but it did hold and didnt melt or crack, thankfully.

As far as a few years go yeh it probably will be comming out again but would be painted super slick like the other one in this post or in a few years I will be moving to another truck.

I have used this paint once before and it lasted for probably two years without any noticeable fading or cracking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I gotta few questions. How does the late model dash bolt up? I was considering putting a '98 dash in my '94 (if it is possible). '94-'97s & 1st gens bolt up along the top and at the bottom corners. Although the Ultimate Customs dash looks even better, it would cost a pretty penny (about 1 grand with the gauges). I'm not sure if it will go in a '94 & I don't wanna trade my 20" wheels 4 an awesome dash, although I've probably lost them anyway cuz of the damn transmission going bad in my sister's explorer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
look nice but me i couldnt do w/out my truck for that long, some of us have jobs and only one truck, lol just kidin look damn good maybe a different color though (mine s white)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts