S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys this is killing me. I have a 2000 Blazer 2dr 2wd that I bought back in 2010 with 65,000 miles. I didn't realize that the interior lights were supposed to turn on when I opened the door, until just a few days ago. They are all working properly when I use the dome override button, but only then. I get nothing out of them anytime else. Every other piece of electrical equipment works fine except for that. I'm not sure where to start looking for a faulty switch. Apparently the plastic pin on the inside of the door frame, which is attached to the side of the dash, is not supposed to affect the interior lights. If I leave my key in the ignition and open the door it triggers the interior chime. Are there switches in the actual door hinges or latches that will influences the interior lights. If there are how if it possible for me to diagnose this?

And no the dimmer switch is not the problem either. I already replaced the entire headlight switch assembly.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Should've had a V8.
1,619 Posts
Have you checked the Courtesy Light Switch? Mines a first gen and it's like a pin thing coming out of the door jamb. between the hinges. Not sure where it would be, on a second gen. This is what makes the lights come on when you open the door.

Mine was sticking, and not making the lights come on.

I'm thinking that's what your problem is, LMC has them for $5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay guys, I'm currently on my laptop in the blazer admitting defeat. WD-40ing the **** out of those handles and latches amounted to nothing. Then I checked for blown fuses in both the engine bay and the cockpit....... yup no blown fuses. Do you think it might be the latch on one of the doors? Are they connected to the computer (bcm) or is there a connection to the handles or both?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hope you can find the problem, I have a 2000 xtreme and it has the same problem. I have been looking for the problems for as long as I have had the truck. Being that yours is a 2000 also I'm starting to think its a year thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you can find the problem, I have a 2000 xtreme and it has the same problem. I have been looking for the problems for as long as I have had the truck. Being that yours is a 2000 also I'm starting to think its a year thing.
when did you buy yours?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Those plastic pins sticking out of each side of the dash ARE the door switches. They like to get hung up internally sometimes- the switch action is all the way out at the end of the travel. I just replaced the old ones in my truck as they were hanging up just before they were fully extended. Don't spray WD40 or PB Blaster on them -they are greased internally and it will make them worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 pins. One in either door jam in each side. The one on the drivers side is connected but the one on the passenger side is not. When I look for the wiring to plug in to the switch it is not anywhere near the hole or under the dash at all. I was told that there is no real use for the pin on the passenger side because that only controls the door chime when the key is in the ignition, and the passenger side just takes up a hole created for right side drive blazers. If it is the door pins that control the courtesy lighting, why when you pull the door handle (on a properly working set up) does the lights come on as well. Man I figured I knew a little about this but I'm getting mind ****ed the further into this project I go.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The door handle switches are momentary switches tied to the interior lighting module, which is part on the BCM. I believe those are supposed to auto dim a short time after they are activated. The door jamb switches will keep them lit while either door is open. They are separate of the lighting control module- they just close ground on the battery feed to the interior lights same as the dome override.
Are you sure the driver's side one is connected to the wiring inside the dash? If so, it could be broken internally or not extending fully. Either side switch will turn on the lights when connected and the plunger is fully extended. Its possible the previous owner may have had a bad one and yanked it because it will also trigger the "door ajar" in the driver information center (with the ignition on) and the chime, the pin can get bent or break the end off and it will stay "on" all the time or if the round plugs in the door skins where they make contact are missing.
The connector is a small black oval plug with black and white wires to it, to remove the switch, you have to push it out from inside the dash, prying or pulling it out will likely break it. Here's a pic of what they look like out of the dash, and what the contacts look like inside. If you need new ones, PM me, I have two spares left from a dash swap you're welcome to.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have owned mine for almost 3 years now, I think everything works like it should except for the problem of the lights coming on when the door opens. but I have the power locks with the remote and the lights come on when I hit the unlock button, so I kind of just gotten to the point of hitting the unlock button when I need light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts