S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2001 S10 4x4 and it has a factory cd player in the dash and a tape player in the floor console.
The back of the radio has 2 connectors plugging into it. The normal Chevy harness and this strange flat connector that I'm guessing is for the loop to the tape player?
Through a bunch of research I've found nothing mentioning a harness allowing you to plug in both connectors so I started to think maybe it had to just be left unplugged?!
I bought the factory to aftermarket connector and wired up the cd player and it has no power at all....
No fuses are blown and my wires are correct. Does this confirm that there is supposed to be some mystery interface harness I've yet to find that uses both connectors? Or is this radio bad? I can't seem to find anything on this issue, which seems odd.
Any help would be much appreciated!
1230192110.jpg

·
Been there Done it
8,630 Posts
You're correct. That flat harness is to connect the auxiliary tape deck to the factory radio. Don't know of any way to connect it to an aftermarket head unit because the new radio won't have a way to turn it on and off. Not to mention no provision for connecting the wiring. So leave it loose. I replaced my cassette deck with a switch panel that I made out of a sheet of black plastic.
Since you were wise enough to get the correct wiring adapter so as not to hack up the original harness you no power is either as you state a bad radio or the wiring to the head unit isn't correct. Double check the instructions. Aftermarket radios don't necessarily follow the same color code as GM. The most common issues is a lot of radios made in Asia (I guess they all are) use white as ground and GM uses black. Not all but most.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find said harness though, I jist hooked up the one and it won't power on. It's as if this harness doesn't exist. My searches haven't found much at all.
I'll double check the wiring schematic to make sure I hooked the right colors up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, it was my wiring keeping it from powering on. I still can't find any info on an interface to save this 2nd connector.
If there isn't one, theoretically, can't I find the yellow, red and black terminals inside this mystery flat connector and run a wire from them to the matching wires that I've spliced? Basically meaning it would be 2 to 1 with the tape players and factory radio harness' red, yellow and black into the pioneer's same colored wires?
Think it's worth a try?
If it works should I put a fuse in between the tape player and harness or would it still use the factory fuse?

·
Been there Done it
8,630 Posts
Glad you got the radio working.
There is nothing that can be done to make an aftermarket radio run your cassette player. The radio doesn't internally have anything to connect to. The original radio had extra circuitry inside for a cassette deck and buttons to push to run it.
If you start connecting those wires to your new radio you run the risk of frying it. I'd recommend taking it to a local automotive stereo place and explain what you are trying to do before you start altering the wiring. They will either know a way I've never heard of or at least be able to explain why it can't be done. Before you toast a new radio.
I'm sure they will also ask you why you even want to use a cassette player when most new cars don't even use CD's.
Today you either have your tunes in your phone and connect an aux in cable or use Bluetooth or plug in a USB thumb drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, I think it's just more the what if I could find a way to keep it type deal. I'll probly never even use it, just figured someone would've figured out a way to keep it.

·
Been there Done it
8,630 Posts
Put it in eBay and see how much you can get for a NOS casdek. Bet the bidding will be fast and furious! ;)
That'll free up the little cubby to hide your stash or PPK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts