S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about doing an S10 ls swap for a while. And now I've got a bit of time and money for a project. The goal would be to do a 4x4 setup with an LS and then add boost. That's been done before, but I wanted to do it more of a hot rod style. I'm looking for it to have great 0-60 and 1/8 mile performance. I was thinking of starting with a long wheel base 4x4 and mount a regular cab on it but push it back to the rear wheel. Then take the LS/4l80 and move it back about 24 inches, maybe lowered if possible. This should give better feel and weight distribution for launching the vehicle. The car would lose the fenders and some kind of small grill would have to be made up front, hot rod style.

Things I'm thinking about.
-This would take moving the body mounts, and probably notching the body where the frame rails start to rise in the rear.
-Custom motor mounts as well obviously.
-The torsion bar cross member would need to be modified to have the transmission over it and the front drive shaft pass through it. Reinforcing this would be a big deal. It would be easier to go with a coilover front suspension, but I've searched haven't seen any easy solution under $1k.
-I don't think anything would need to change with the rear suspension.
-The drive shafts would need to change length.
-steering shaft lengthened
-exhaust should be easier with the engine at the wider frame area
-I was thinking of starting with a zr2 since it has stronger drive line components. It would require more to lower it back down and I've heard that these frames have a tendency to crack. I'll be welding on the frame for the other modifications so it may not be too much more work.

I'm rolling this idea around in my head trying to figure out all the aspects ahead of time. This would be a fun cruising car to stop people at stoplights and take to the track on occasion. It would be pretty unique. Unique is not always good, but I don't think this would be horrific. More like a modern rat rod. I would try to make it nice, but not that nice.

If there are things I'm not thinking about please let me know. If you think this is a really stupid idea please let me know, but have a reason to back it up. I know this forum has a wealth of knowledge and with a year's worth of internet searches won't point me in the right direction if I'm missing something.

Thanks,
MN_vette

·
Registered
238 Posts
That would be an interesting build . I’ll watch .

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,972 Posts
I can picture it, seems cool. One thing to consider is it doesn't matter, S10 front differentials don't hold that power, ZR2 don't matter... you'll want to source a Dana 60 for the front likely. Everything else seems doable. Oh and either an 8.8 or 9" for the rear, or if you've got a few bucks, a Strange S60 rear... again the GM 10 bolts don't hold boosted LS power very well for very long. Also FWIW, the S10 front drive shafts won't hold that power either- look beefing those up also.

You might benefit from starting with an S10 crewcab truck, as they are short box but longest cab... then put the single cab on that, and maybe keep the short box it already has, then you'll just end up with that reallllly stretched out hood (going from crew to single basically). But frame body mounts and the rear kick-up may work in your favor more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts