S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been brought up before, but it struck me today as I was looking at a '95 s10 I wanted to buy. The 2.2L is also the base engine in the Cavalier, but the Z24 has a high output 2.4L. I imagine, being as cost efficient as they can, that GM didn't change much in the J-body chassis to fit the 2.4. I wonder if the 2.4 would bolt up to stock motor mounts on the 2nd generation s-series. The trannies are certainly different between the s-series and the J-bodies, as the motor in the J-bodies is transverse mounted, but the bolt pattern on the housings should be the same. Does anybody know if the tranny behind the 2.2 would bolt behind a 2.4 bellhousing? Has anybody tried this?

What's the horsepower difference? Isn't it around 50 or 60 extra horses in the 2.4? The 2.4 has lots of extra torque, and a broader powerband, too.

Food for thought.

-Chris

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
it sounds like a great idea. the 2.4l is also the 2nd gen of the quad 4 motor but without the head problems.

my sisters sunfire has one and its a decent motor.

·
Med School member
179 Posts
yeah my Girl's Sunfire GT has the quad 4. It will kill me in a heart beat. As fr the HP, 150 is what it says n the manual. And it would be an easy motor to put cold air on

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
Providing that everything does match up - it won't - you'll have to check on locations of accessories, the starter, radiator hose lengths, electric fan, oil pan fit, etc.

Good luck.

·
Med School member
179 Posts
yeah i think the quad 4 sits laterally in the compartment

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMCSonoma00 said:
yeah i think the quad 4 sits laterally in the compartment
Right. That's what "transverse mounted" means. :bah:

I'm not doing the swap. It was just an idea. As for the accessories, I'm sure it would take some fabrication, but with a transverse mounted motor there's actually less room than in the front of an S10, since the shock tower brace, steering shaft, and brake and clutch master cylinders are all mounted on that side of the motor. I think bracket fabrication would be the biggest obsticle to accessory mounting.

The tranny is the biggest hurdle, though. The Quad 4 has seen numerous chassis configurations, including RWD iterations. There are certainly trannies out there to bolt behind the motor if the 2.2 tranny wont bolt up, but then a driveshaft likely needs to be fabbed, although that's minor. Then it's just a matter of fabbing the linkage. This is all assuming that the motor mounts bolt up.

If it all works out, though, there are tremendous possibilities for engine development. The GMPP catalog lists numerous performance parts for the different generations of Quad 4, and there are closet Quad 4 engine builders out there that can wring some amazing numbers out of them by utilizing the best parts from the different generations.

Regardless, I'm sure it's just as easy to drop in a small block and be done with it, but for those who like to do something different I think this is a legitimate possibility.

Any other thoughts?

-Chris

·
Trackside Support Vehicle
4,063 Posts
what matters is if the 2.4 has bosses on it for a rwd setup, the 2.2 has placed to bolt up for fwd and rwd on the same block. after that, i imagine the wiring connections are different, and the computer too. wiring a 4l60e (if it would bolt up) into the 2.4 would be a pita i bet.

for all that time and money, u could take the 2.2 and make it have 150hp.....it's only 30 more hp.

·
WNYTrucks Creator
184 Posts
A boosted ecotec would be your best bet. I thought of it a while back, and it would be kinda cool, but meh, mght as well drop an 8 in there. ALOT less hassle and fab work.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
anyone ever thought of putting an ecotec 2.2,2.4,or supercharged 2.0. in an s-10?
i hear that's in the works you can use a trans from a solstice and gmpp has a lot of goodies for the ecotec.has any one heard of a 3800 II swap??? 200 hp-220 tq 30 mpg h/way. use out of a camaro or firebird

·
Registered
46 Posts
here's an interesting swap idea for everyone to argue about. i thought it would be different to swap in a 3800 series supercharged. those engines make some pretty good numbers and with a little work they're easy to get into the 300hp range. my mom has one with a series 3 and it makes really good power for a family sedan, oh and it gets 30 mpg on the highway! what do u think?

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
here's an interesting swap idea for everyone to argue about. i thought it would be different to swap in a 3800 series supercharged. those engines make some pretty good numbers and with a little work they're easy to get into the 300hp range. my mom has one with a series 3 and it makes really good power for a family sedan, oh and it gets 30 mpg on the highway! what do u think?
is that 3800 fwd your talking about. if it is then there would be some issues no! but take one from an f body and add your choice of forced induction, you 've got a bad ride.

·
I spray box's
210 Posts
the 2.4 were junk. the only diff. between the 2.2 and the 2.4 is the third gear. stock the 2.4 would pull the 2.2 in third and be gone but put a venom chip on the 2.2 and they stay the same....I use to have a j-body....2.2....and it was wayyy better than the 2.4. in my head anyways...plus the 2.4 head is weak as shit.

·
AVTekk is my HERO
1,232 Posts
is that 3800 fwd your talking about. if it is then there would be some issues no! but take one from an f body and add your choice of forced induction, you 've got a bad ride.
Hmm.. I almost forgot that the camaros came with 6cyl... gm's mistake suprised they didnt offer a 4cyl (economical) corvette

·
MonkeyNoma
175 Posts
Quads4rods.com sells adapters for converting ecotecs and quad 4s over to rwd using the t5 or 200r4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts