S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go! As you know I bought my truck used. I got a great deal on it but there were some things about it that detracted from the appearance. The door panels was one of them and we fixed them up so that they are al least un-ugly. Another thing that didn't look so hot was the speaker covers on the dash. The hack that owned the truck before me put in a set of Kicker speakers that were slightly too big and broke the hinge tabs so that now the frontmost part of the speaker cover sits up about a quarter inch or so (see the indicated area in the pic below.)

The area that these speakers occupy would make a great location for tweeters so that the front stage is correct but in order to put something else there we need to relocate the mid drivers somewhere. Since we already have our door panels off we can fabricate a pod to stick some speakers in and get rid of this unsightly mess on out dash at the same time.

So here we go!

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The Speaker

I took out the two screw that hold the Speaker cover down and the speaker comes out it. Here it is attached to the cover.

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Speaker wires

If your not going to pull the speaker wires out at this time make sure to tape the ends off so that they don't short out and blow the finals of your amp!

Here is a pic of the hole in the dash through the windshield.

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Measuring the speaker

With the speaker out and on my workbench I can begin to take some measurements. Since I think that the shape of a 4X6 speaker would look kind of stupid as a pod I'm gonna build the pod to look like a component set (one 5 1/4"and one 2".) And should I ever upgrade to a component set I'll have a place to put them.

Here is the speaker on the bench.

It will be a while before my next post as I'm still gathering materials and tools and doing some drawings. Good planning at this point will pay off later so take your time and make sure your measurements are correct.

Attachments

·
Club H.A.S.T.E Turtle
408 Posts
I know one problem off hand, from experience. Get 5.25 speakers that have the mounting holes all around the cone, not just four tabs that come out. That may make it easer to mount them in close to the windshield. I'm also planning my replacemnet panels since the 4x6's don't have enough midrange sound for me. I may start taking pics when I begin to build and we can compare notes.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Measeurements and Cutouts

Remember our black plastic carpet backing piece? If you don't, read the Interactive Custom Door Panel thread in the "How-To" forum. We are going to use that thing again. Since we know that the seat doesn't interfere with the use of the map pocket we can safely use that area of the door to put our speaker pod and be relatively sure that the seat won't interfere with it either. So I took some measurements of the lower door panel as a sanity check to make sure we have room for our pod.

To make determining the proper position for our pod face easier (which determines speaker aiming) , I made a cardboard cutout of the lower door panel. Just trace the front portion of the carpet backing piece onto the cardboard and cut it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
what i would do with those 4X6's is drop them in the rear and get rid of those sh!tty 4X10's ugghh i need another set of 4X6 infinity plates for my rear to match the front about to have speaker pods in my doors as well.. but i wouldnt put the 4X6 in the door panel i dont think it would do what you are wanting but behind the seat in the 4x10 holes i guarentee they would have a much better sound and you cn build the 5 1/4 pods for the door and get a set of component speakers for the door.. that is what i am about to do.. i have a set of premade panels with speaker pods in them(unfortunately no longer being made) and im going to get another set of infinity plates for the rear and then probaby some infinity speakers in the door not sure what is going into the pods yet but its just a thought id like to see how it turns out no matter what you do tho
Chris

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Speak Cutout

I made a cardboard cutout of the speaker components that I want to use (not really because I don't know what speakers I want to use so I just made them big enough to handle any component set I want.) I used a compass to draw the circles then simply connected them with a line.

NOTE:
We will be putting some type of material on the inside of the opening so you will have to make allowance for this. It should become clearer what I am talking about as we get to the glassing steps.

Now I choose this configuration because I am using that 4X6 speaker from the dash and plan to upgrade to components later and do not wish to build another set of pods later. You will probably want to make a cutout for each of your speakers and place them individually.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pic, I just couldn't get the lines to show up any other way! Cheap Cam!

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A quick test fit

I wanted to do a quick test fix of the cardboard cutouts so I threw them on the door panel. This is a good time to experiment woth the cutouts to see where you want them. Look at this placement.........hummmmm. I like this but I'm gonna stick the the original plan! But you don't have to!

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thats an easy question. The 4X6 plate speakers that I have right now won't fit a 5.25" round opening so I'm gonna make the pod look like a component set and it will give me the room to mount the 4X6. Later on I will upgrade the 4X6 and put the 5.25 in the door and the tweet in the dash. That way I don't have to build another pod. As far as the unused tweet space in the door pod.....well hopefully no one will put 2 and 2 together and ask why it's shaped like that. Or I can put some lights or something else in there to take up the space!

And remember, you don't have to build yours like I build mine. I would encourage everyone to experiment with mounting locations to get the best combination of sound and visual appeal.

:)

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Another Backing Piece!

Here we go again. Cut out a backing piece like we did before. Don't ever throw away that carpet backing piece as we will use it till we die! Here is a quick pic.

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here it is all cut out

Been there, done that! I also cut out a backing piece that I will mount to the back of a speaker ring that is to be cut out of some MDF (medium density fiberboard.) The speaker ring will be the same size as this backing piece.

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The Speaker Ring

We need to make a ring that will form an edge around the speakers. This ring will also give our fiberglass a little height to clear the top of the speakers. We will also make a cover that fits inside the ring to cover the speakers.

To make yours measure the diameter of the mounting ring of your speakers. (if you are using 2" and 5.25" speakers you measurements should be about the same just add a little wiggle room.) Now divide those numbers by 2 and you have the radius that you will need. Adjust a set of dividers (compass) to the larger radius and draw a circle on a piece of 3/4" MDF, then make it 3/4" wider and draw another circle using the same center hole. Now do the same with the smaller radius (for the smaller speaker.) You can use the dividers to mark a semi-circle the proper distance from the center of the larger circle. And again open the dividers 3/4" and draw another circle.

Now use a straight edge to connect the inner circles and the outer circles. Look at the pic below, it is really simpe to do but hard to explain.

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cut out the center of the ring

Now cut out the center part of the piece to form a ring. Stay toward the center to leave a little extra material so that you can sand the piee to a sharp, straight edge. MDF sands well and is easy to work with power tools.

Start by drilling a hold and use the scroll saw to cut out the middle.

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here is the ring all cut out

Take you time. When you have it cut out it's time to start sanding. I like the rubber 3M sanding blocks for the flat and outside curves. For the inside curves I use a large diameter dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it. Sand until it is nice and even, don't worry about a perfectly smooth surface cause we will be glassing over it.

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
sanity check

If the measurements were correct we should have a ring that will fit nicely (but not perfectly) on the speaker backing piece. Here is a pic of the two together, you should get an idea of where we are going with this from this pic. The speakers will mount the the backing piece and the opening will be covered with some type of grill.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts