S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sts intake i ordered just arrived, and i love it. The only question i have is why does it make the engine louder. Don't get me wrong i love the sound and hope to add some more as i go along, but was just wondering if the baffles in the stock one kept it from doing that or what

thanks
bigman1

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Its a combination of the bad stock intake, IE fan shroud muffler, baffle, and then the resonator box, and the fact that you now have a straighter shot with the air, more air flow, and an open element filter.....gives you a cool *whoosh* sound doesn't it?? Especially if youre just crusiing and then open it up a little bit more, listen carefully and you can hear the air going *siiip* *siip*, its a cool noise....LOL

Caleb

·
Registered
893 Posts
*siip* lol haha, funny ****. Ur right tho, most inakes do that. Id compare it to the sound of a turbo for a sec, but im not familiar with those sounds.YET

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Nah, doesn't sound like a turbo, turbo is more like *siiwhiiiiinnnneeee* *brapapaap* = turbo flutter......they're all good noises. I'm looking into making a custom setup right now using a stock sy/ty or eclipse GST/GSX turbo.....I need boost, then at 75,000 miles I'm going to build the engine for boost, I'm getting serious about 2.2 "performance" lol.....after the enemic 4 banger goes though I definitely want a V8, and yes I plan on keeping this truck for a VERY long time, first thing I've bought and paid for by myself working hard for, all the other cars have been half me half my parents like 4,000 dollar cars, LOL.....

Caleb

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mines not a turbo, but it makes the *siiwhiiiiinnnneeee* *brapapaap*... *siiwhiiiiinnnneeee* is the intake and high rpms from the 4 banger and *brapapaap* is the backfiring sound from my superchip when I let off the gas :) . Anyway, is the backfire sound normal??? I emailed them and they said it was, but I don't always believe them.

DogP

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
If its your exhaust then it is normal cause mine makes little gurgling noises just because its an opened exhaust on a high CR 4 banger.....

I'm sure its normal, from high RPM just because you've had so much fuel going through it (especially with the chip) when you let off it kinda gasps for a second before realizing its not getting as much fuel which is where that noise comes from

Caleb

·
Registered
389 Posts
Summer

You seem to know a bit about 4 bangers, do you have a lag at low RPMs when just cruising? I do and it sucks. It is almost like a small stutter like fuel is shutting off or like I am letting off the gas. I am thinking it might be the rear diff also bad gearing not sure. My motor doesn't rev but I get a lag.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I USED TO!!! I had it spectrographed and it ended up being 3 of my 4 spark plug wires jumping gap. It was not cool.......I would say get that checked with the quickness, if it is not that, it could be like what you're saying a stutter in the tranny, get the differential fluid changed, check all the fluids and swap them out, and if you're still having the stutter, it could be something engine related....

I'm guessing its a sprak plug wire, cause, that was just horrible for me, had to floor it in second *stutter stutter* once it got up to like 3,000 rpm stuttering it got better but it was just the most horrible feeling in the world to me......

Until the clutch went out anyways. LOL

Caleb

·
Registered
389 Posts
I hear that but I replaced the plugs and the wires with MSD 8.5 mm wires and Bosch Platinum +4

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Ok, well thats not the culprit then, so yeah I'd check out all your fluids its probably not something too too serious, but check it all out and let us know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts