S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about buyin an exhaust and Cold Air intake for my 98 S-10 4.3.. What cold air intake do you recomend? I was thinking about buying the K&N intake since it has a warranty and a good name also looks like good gains what do you think?

Also with an exhaust and intake will i need to get a chip? and will i notice an improvement with intake and exhaust upgrades? i want to beat up on rice burners but i have to be able to beat them first

·
Registered
23 Posts
What type of exhaust are you thinking, I like the K&N intake system, you would definitely feel a difference just putting that in. As for taking the ricers it really depends on what kind you are talking about if you are thinking about taking a tuned STI or something you are gonna need a bit more than just an exhaust and an intake. The chip would also give you some gains but i know lots of people that have just an intake and an exhaust without adding a chip.

·
Jake
453 Posts
Go with an ebay intake, WITH A K&N FILTER! I did, and it works great, filter came in it's k&n box with warranty papers sealed in a plastic bag. I have a flowmaster 40 series, that with the intake, sounds mean as shat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks i dont think ill try to take any WRX's or anything turbocharged. Just the civics with the fart cans on the back

For exhaust i was thinking flowmaster but i want either dual rear exit or dual side exit. Then again brand doesnt matter really as long as it sounds good.

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
buy the K&N... because it has a warranty...... on a piece of plastic???
you can get all these typical CAI`s, efans, aftermarket ignition systems, TB spacers, and exhaust systems, and maybe pick up a few HP. but you will still likely be getting left behind by most of these ricers.

or you could spend the money wasted on those other things and get nitrous.
something that will really give you a considerable gain in power....

your choice.

·
Registered
591 Posts
go for an ebay cold air intake and a lowmaster.
i know here in ks i beat integra and civics all the time!!

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Crew Cab Sonoma said:
buy the K&N... because it has a warranty...... on a piece of plastic???
you can get all these typical CAI`s, efans, aftermarket ignition systems, TB spacers, and exhaust systems, and maybe pick up a few HP. but you will still likely be getting left behind by most of these ricers.

or you could spend the money wasted on those other things and get nitrous.
something that will really give you a considerable gain in power....

your choice.
Yep, he speaks the truth. Save the $200-250. Buy a Fleabay intake or a drop-in K&N with chopped airbox. The K&N gain claims are just a joke...

Doubtful you'll feel any real power increase. Just, a louder engine sound, possibly slightly better mileage.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
AEM intake, its the best one IMO since it bolts down and has 4 inch piping.....the Volant too is a good choice since it is a sealed intake to the holes behind the headlight.....K&N ranks at the bottom

·
hatetheblazer
537 Posts
Depends on your wallet and you bro...don't think any of them will make a truly noticeable neckbraking difference...I bought the K&N and it is worth it...this is a highly subjective decision...

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
got an ebay kit last year for $25 or less, added nice sound to the engine and a little better milage. changed the filter part of it out this year with an AEM filter and that adds a lil more sound then the crappy old filter did. i've also got a dynomax exhuast and it sounds deep and mello, not loud and obnoxious. but its really personal preference. you arnt going to get much performance out of the intake/exhuast, just better sound and a little better mileage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
im not expecting something amazing if i put in an intake kit but i would like to feel a little bit of a diffrence. So basically i should just not waste the money on any performance parts.

I was planning on intake exhaust, and chip and i dont want to get smoked by stock or nearly stock civics etc

·
Searching no more
2,467 Posts
Frick Frack said:
im not expecting something amazing if i put in an intake kit but i would like to feel a little bit of a diffrence. So basically i should just not waste the money on any performance parts.
I have a k&N fipk, magnaflow single in/dual out exhaust, throttle body spacer, and e-fan on my TBI and I was getting 24mpg and beating out most stock s-10's (mostly newer).

So the performance parts will definitely help. My 4.3 is being rebuilt right now though, so it should be much better after that :)

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
you won't get huge noticeable difference is all. gas mileage is really the biggest difference. if you want an exhaust, then by all means get an exhaust. for the intake, there really is not much of a difference in anything between a $25 ebay intake (if it's got a good filter on it) and the K&N kit for much more money.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
there are huge differences....lol

R&D being a big one, fitment, the whole new throttle body hat.....I mean get a decent kit, those ebay things are horrible

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So with a an AEM intake, Exhaust, Throttle body spacer and jet stage II chip or programmer (if i have enough money) would i get a decent gain in power thats noticeable? and would i be able to beat around stock or nearly stock civics or eclipses?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
yeah you should be able to beat stock civics now and non turbo eclipses too.....

But an AEM or Volant intake, Exhaust, and I would do a hypertech if I were in your shoes rather than a JET.....you'd definitely notice that, specially if you did it all at once

·
Registered
175 Posts
cant beleave no ones said AIR BOX MOD yet, free and close to the same results. do a search about it, also check out sshotrods.com lots of moods in there to check out.

·
Takin' it to the Xtreme
151 Posts
Okay, just a small survey..What would you rather go with,,or what would be best to go with becasue Im about to buy a cold air intake,,,but..I dont know who to go with. So far, im trying to choose between...

K&N
AEM
Injen

Any help on which one has the BEST performance and fuel mileage gain?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts