S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i am gonna go with the project at http://www.s-series.org/htm/how2/2lairbox.htm. I was just wondering if someone has done it just like this before. also i was wondering if someone has the airfilter part number for the filter at jegs or summit. I hope this will make my heatthrob straight exhaust/no muffler exhaust system sound a little bit deeper and give me more power.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Mine's just like that. Have a look.

I used an APC 3" inlet filter. You'll need to make some sort of custom adapter depending on the filter you buy. Usually a short piece of PVC pipe will do. If you do put on the cone style filter, you should run a wire under it between the rear mount of the stock airbox to behind the headlight area to support it's weight.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jeff gordan blows, and what part of the nascar do you actually think is chevy.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the project at http://www.s-series.org/htm/how2/2lairbox.htm, what exactly does the spray paint cap do? Is it necessary? I have been lookin at some other post and have heard nottin of blockin off the silencer. Also, on that box, the silencer i guess it is(on top of the engine), there is a little line that goes to the back of it, where do that go and what do it do?

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Let me find some illustrations on alldata that show the void box you take off. The paint lid is to cover the hole where that went.

In the mean time, I've attached a picture of the box, the tube is hidden in this view, but it's on the far right side of the box.

The tube on the back of the box is the same as your PVC valve on most engines. You'll want to leave that hooked up. It goes between the valve cover and the box. You should see the inch long tube sticking out of the back of the box where the hose fits.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Guess that didn't work, try these.

This thingy is on the left side of the radiator as you are looking at the front of the truck. It's hidden pretty well for it's size. Take it off and chuck it or make a planter out of it.

This is the air cleaner outlet resonator as GM calls it. Your hose goes on the back of it. (hidden from view here)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that explains it some more. lol, i thought the box that says 2200 on it comes off? so it stays on? Becaquse i know there is a line on the back of it. If u got anymore illistrations, let me see them.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
That's all I had on the intake. And yes, the box stays on. Only way to loose that is go with a full intake kit like the K&N or Volant that replaces the whole shebang.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Yeah, or leave that on and make your own tubing to like...run a different route to something better than stock

Caleb

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. i get the first drawing. I still don't get where this 3" to 4" rubber piece is gonna go. Sry if i am askin too many questions, i just want to get this done right. ty

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Let me go back and see if I can clarify the whole thing.

Basically, you're doing 3 steps here.

1. Take out the stock airbox completely.
2. Take off the resonator box that's next to the radiator and plug the hole with a spray paint can top. (it's exactly the right size)
3. Put on a 3" aftermarket cone type filter. This is where you might need an extra piece of tube. Some airfilters will slide right into the stock hose, other's might need a piece of tubing between the filter and hose to act as an adapter.

Nothing is done to the airbox on top of the motor or the stock ducting itself.

Hope that helps.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man, that helps alot. that second picture just had me confused somewhat but now i understand it all. ty

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
otherd

hey otherd...

How did you get that hose blue in you engine bay? The large one that runs over the radiator.......I have a red hose kit but I have never seen one that size nor is one included.

:evilg: LowTech :evilg:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so what kind of filter do u recommend? I was lookin at k&n, but i not sure which one.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Blue hoses

Do a web search for colored wire looms. Several places have them, but blue seems to be a bit more rare. I forget where I ordered these. Came in a kit with several sizes. Most of this stuff wasn't designed for under hood temps so you have to be careful where you route it.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
pepsi24chevy said:
so what kind of filter do u recommend? I was lookin at k&n, but i not sure which one.
Mine was an APC, but any of them with a 3" inlet should work. Just take a tape measure with you when you're shopping. The APC just happend to come in blue so I went with that one.

Was looking for a Holley filter, but no one stocks them locally. You usually get what you pay for, so stay away from any under $20 jobs. Most of the cheap ones don't come with an oil kit or such, so the K&N or Holley is worth the extra $.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed it today It was pretty easy, only took about 25 min. Run great, i can feel the performance improvement and it made my exhaust a little better. It was wortht he money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts