S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '97 S10 xCab, automatic 4.3L vortec. I am either going to get a new intake or exhaust soon. What do you guys think is best to get first? And what are the best brands for each? I am new to the truck scene, as I had an import before. let me just say, i am much happier with my S10. :) As far as an exhaust goes, i want something that is a bit deeper and throatier. I think the best sounding cars are the old muscle cars with nice exhaust systems. I want my truck to sound something like that. Obviously I cant make it sound exactly like that. And I know i cant make it sound like a V8 either, but something that would make it rumble a bit. And i dont really mind having it a bit louder in the cab either, so it doesnt have to be the Flowmaster DeltaFlow series. I have heard good things about Borla exhausts. Any info. and/or links to sites where I can purchase these items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

--Chris
AIM: changeyez and (at work) ckdawgck

·
Audi Tech
2,485 Posts
go with a k&n intake, they have a heat shield, u'll want cooler air so this helps. most people seem to go with flowmaster. i'm sure others will post with what they like. good luck

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
go with the ehaust first, that's normally the most restriced part of a stock engine, as for the intake, you can remove the MAF screen, and get a K&N cone filter the last 4 digits of the part # are 0810, and you can then remove the stock airbox, that;ll give you more of the sound you want, and about the same performance as going with exhaust and a full intake...

·
Freak of Nature
41 Posts
I have the Flowmaster 40-series Delta Flow and I am very happy with it. Nice rumble at idle. All I have on the intake side for now is a drop in K&N which helps, but definitely not enough.

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
the MAF screen is a honeycomb screen right in the front of the Mass Airflow Sensor, you just disconnect the MAF from the airbox and you can see the screen, you just pry at one area on the screen until you can pull it out...:)

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
i'd say it improves the airflow by about 20-25%, but being there's more air, the engine will require more gas, therefore your gas mileage will get worse...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts