S-10 Forum banner

What other trucks do you like besides Chevy?

• Nothing else, Chevy is #1

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Ford

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Dodge

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Nissan

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Toyota

Votes: 8 14.3%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
R.I.P.
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need opinions on intakes. Is the K&N or violant better? And how much horsepower will it add to a 2.2L? I was thinking about the apc intimiator because it was cheap but wasn't sure, thanks. Dan:rock: :headbang:

·
Paint Needing Mofo
639 Posts
think you got your polls mixed up...

i'd go K&N, but then again... i'm biased :D

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
I have the APC, I like it lots..sounds and looks good..pics are on my site if you wanna take a look. I think they will all produce about the same gain on the 2.2. Its just a personal preference as to the name brand you want to go with.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I've got the volant now, and I had the meineke air intake, and both seemed to increase the HP the same, the MAI was louder though, but they both sounded different than stock

I like the volant, but I'd take the money towards a new one or a new K&N and have a muffler shop fab up a full system going under the bumper behind the fog light hole....but thats just me

Caleb

·
Registered
106 Posts
intake options

i have the sts intake and i like it a lot. i do not have extensive experience, but it makes it a lot louder at full throttle, and i feel gives it much better response. however, after looking around i feel i could have got one for much cheaper and in a lot less time. mine was $190 and it took a month to get here. the plus is i think i am the only person in my area with one:D :cry:

bigman1:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
i said this in another post this morning, go with volant and then put a k&N cone on it and go to autozone and buy a honda civic intake pipe, and cut it to fit your intake tube, it looks so nice

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Erm, what the hell are you talking about Y2K,

what do you do with the honda civic pipe??

I know the K&N on the volant trick....thats cool, but what the hell do with the Honda pipe?

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Well, K&N will always have a good reputation, but like I said, the 300 for that could be spent on making an even better under the bumper system.....

Caleb

·
XA FOUNDER!
40 Posts
I did a hotshot... it's louder than the rest because of it's open ended cone and aluminum 3" tubing all the way up. it howls really loud. but they all give about the same performance 4hp. LOL... if that. I know they claim 15-30, but in reality you won't see that unless you're blowin with turbo, nos, supercharged and puttin out over 300 hp. then you might see 15-20, but never 30hp. it's almost impossible. it's actually just cool and makes the engine life last longer and run smoother and you get better mpg. it's a smart upgrade, not a speed upgrade. although that's everyones intention. I do like k&n and volant though, only thing with volant is it's cool air which gives torque not top end speed, but once again you're talking maybe a max of 8 hp. so it really doesn't matter which one you get they're all good.
J

G

·
I have K&N and the Gibson Catback and sounds awesome and runs a hell of lot a better than before
As for HP i think the K&N maybe gave me 15 or so

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Guys, Save your money....$0 for the K&N drop in, mod your airbox and MAF. for 50 bucks you get the same horsepower as 300 bucks. These mods netted me approx. 12-14 Horsepower on a 4.3
Search through the posts for some pics. homemade heatsheild and modded maf..

·
Paint Needing Mofo
639 Posts
02REDXBLAZE said:
Guys, Save your money....$0 for the K&N drop in, mod your airbox and MAF. for 50 bucks you get the same horsepower as 300 bucks. These mods netted me approx. 12-14 Horsepower on a 4.3
Search through the posts for some pics. homemade heatsheild and modded maf..
free K&N drop-in filter? where?! :D also there is no MAF in our 2.2's... but thanks for givin it a shot. :thumbup:

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Cant type lol $40. You can make as much horsepower by DIY as you can spendin $300 no matter what motor

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
The V6 is quite a bit different than our motors, our intake tract is ****ed up routed over the entire engine bay through three silencers and more...

A cold air intake DEFINITELY is worth the money to get, but theyre all about the same

AND NO WAY IN HELL You picked up 15 HP from a CAI on a 2.2, maybe like 5 horsepower, EVEN FROM A K&N ONE!!

Caleb

·
XA FOUNDER!
40 Posts
hate to bash you bro, but...

he's right about the engine bay thing. these stock intakes on the 2.2L are so dumb. it just fills the entire rest of the engine up is all it does, I was surprised that my engine was even getting air after I took that thing out of it... it came all the way accross the engine and was completely flat, then it dropped down into some sort of extra tubing system, popped back up ran back accross the engine and finally wrapped around to the intake manifold. I sorta thought to myself why a multimillion dollar company like chevy hasn't figured out that the engine doesn't do anything looking good, and it they still havn't figured out how easy it is to just mold a piece of straight plasting and send it straight into the box. it's that simple, but not they had to play this stupid little zig zag game with us so that we have to spend money on intakes. it just sucked...
J

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Oh well boys just trying to help.. Gonna look for a pic of 2.2 engine compartment. Gotta see this mess for myself. As far as silencers go you dont need them so you can trash those. Lemme see and Ill get back to ya's...

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
let me tell you why the stock intake looks like that. factory cars are made to please a wide range of buyers. MOST people do not like a loud car or a loud intake or a loud exhaust or anything. the reason the stock intakes zig zags around is the same principle of how a muffler works...they are baffles, specifically placed to drastically lower the dB of the intake air. now you see what happens when you take it off and run a straight pipe? it howls like a b*tch! and i love it! i have the STS, and it has a nice low growl to it. 3" pipe all the way up with k&n cone. i love it. talk to ya lata...

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Stock intake Zigs for placement not baffling. Unless there are physical obstructions in the intake tube there is no baffling. Silencers provide the baffling. You r right about them making them to fit a wide range of people though. Thats why we mod lol. anybody with a pic of 2.2 bay post for me. would like to see what I can come up with.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.