Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks,
I was wondering if anyone here knew what cars(if any) had the same intake manifold as the 2.8L v6 in my 85. I am trying to completely assembly my new motor before I remove the old one. I am short the intake manifold.

Anyone know?

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
I don't know of any except for 85 and earlier.

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know of any except for 85 and earlier.
Bummer.
I was wondering about the 2.8L in the transversal cars - the front wheel drives. I was wondering if they might have the same intake manifold? I am certain all the brackets would be different.

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
I don't think the transverse 2.8 would work. I believe even the pontiac fiero 2.8 had a special intake. Either way these aren't that hard to find.

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
If you have the extra $$, the Edelbrock intake has 2 carb options. One is for the 4 barrel, the other for the stock 2SE. A Weber can also be adapted. I see them used on Ebay regularly. They also improve performance.
There are a few trucks at the local Upulls here that have the factory carb intake on them..

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked all of the u-pulls within 50 miles of me. None of them currently have a vehicle with the correct engine/manifold. I saw the edlebrock and the adapter for the 2se. I was worried the combo might be too tall to fit under a stock hood. Any thoughts?

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
The Eddy will fit under the S10 hood with no problem in both configurations - 2 and 4 barrel.

It is a very tight squeeze on an early 2.8 V6 Jeep Cherokee though...
You probably know why I know this piece of useless trivia... :p

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the eddy and the adapter for the 2bbl runs about $325 shipped to me. Is the performance increase noticeable? For that money I could have the current manifold blasted and I paint it - that would be like $65. I am after low end torque and better fuel economy wouldn't bother me.

thoughts?

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
If you get the 2 piece manifold it will benefit you either way as it has a bolt on throttle cable bracket allowing you to run fiero valve covers if you are lucky enough to find them without having to fabricate a custom bracket like I did. If you still have the carb intake I would just stay with it.

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah,
I still have the original carbed intake. I was just trying to get all the pieces together and painted and assembled before I pulled the motor - trying to make it a little faster. I am giving up on that idea. I found an automotive machine shop with a tank. They said they would clean all the motor parts I want for about $80. It will put me behind a day or so, but it will save me a ton and the headache of hunting it all down. Also, I am sure there will be plenty to do once I get the motor out with cleaning the engine compartment and all.

Thanks for all the help folks!!!!!
mark

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
The Eddy manifold is a unique design made for torque. I'm not trying to sell you on this...
I installed this on many different 2.8/3.4s, and one time I noticed that the ports on the lower intake on the driver side were smaller than the passenger ports. I was going to open them up thinking it was an error in machining.
I called the Edelbrock tech line to ask what's up with that...
Know what they said?
DON"T TOUCH IT!
They said that during the design/engineering phase of the new manifold, they discovered (on the flow bench or something similar) that the 2.8 had an inherent lack of air draw on the dirver side.... :dunno:
So, to fix it they made the ports smaller for more velocity. The guy was bragging that they won design awards for the engineering that went into this unit.
Ok, would I buy one? You know the answer already.
I would shop for a used one. I have bought them for as little as $100 for the complete wad.
Just from the standpoint of improved port efficiency - even with the stock carb, that would be my target.
And you can always go bigger later. There is a 4 barrel top for these intakes on Ebay going for about $40.

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Eddy manifold is a unique design made for torque. I'm not trying to sell you on this...
I installed this on many different 2.8/3.4s, and one time I noticed that the ports on the lower intake on the driver side were smaller than the passenger ports. I was going to open them up thinking it was an error in machining.
I called the Edelbrock tech line to ask what's up with that...
Know what they said?
DON"T TOUCH IT!
They said that during the design/engineering phase of the new manifold, they discovered (on the flow bench or something similar) that the 2.8 had an inherent lack of air draw on the dirver side.... :dunno:
So, to fix it they made the ports smaller for more velocity. The guy was bragging that they won design awards for the engineering that went into this unit.
Ok, would I buy one? You know the answer already.
I would shop for a used one. I have bought them for as little as $100 for the complete wad.
Just from the standpoint of improved port efficiency - even with the stock carb, that would be my target.
And you can always go bigger later. There is a 4 barrel top for these intakes on Ebay going for about $40.
Hey Max,
Double super cool. THANKS for sharing!!!

Time to hunt one down.
mark

Another question thoug. I have the weber 38/38, would a 4 barrel give me improved performance? I feel that would be just a tad overkill.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My opinion, maybe a 4 barrel other than a Holley 390.

Been there and done that on the Edelbrock intake setup that you are discussing.

I got my set for a 100 and it had never been used.

I fought with a Holey 390, that was super clean, for several months and just couldn't get it to run smoothly, so I went TBI.

Custom made a plate to adapt the TBI to the 4 barrel top and have been running that for over a year or so now with minor tuning issues.

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My opinion, maybe a 4 barrel other than a Holley 390.

Been there and done that on the Edelbrock intake setup that you are discussing.

I got my set for a 100 and it had never been used.

I fought with a Holey 390, that was super clean, for several months and just couldn't get it to run smoothly, so I went TBI.

Custom made a plate to adapt the TBI to the 4 barrel top and have been running that for over a year or so now with minor tuning issues.
Interesting thought, but a TBI requires a computer, correct. That is a bit(sorry for the pun) over my head.
I hate computtters.........
especially in cars.

·
Boozebag
9,969 Posts
Interesting thought, but a TBI requires a computer, correct. That is a bit(sorry for the pun) over my head.
I hate computtters.........
especially in cars.
If you already have a 38/38, the adapter (with hardware) is available from Allstate carbs on Long Island NY for about $50.
You'll have better mileage and good performance over the Holley. I have 3 Eddy/Holley set ups on three different rigs with no problems, but the fuel mileage is a little crappy.
I think Jimmykicker was trying to sell his set up.

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
4 Year Intermediate Tech
1,829 Posts
Wait your weber didn't come with a adapter plate in the box? Mine came with one already installed plus a throttle linkage for a 700r4 and a air cleaner adapter allowing me to use my stock air hat.

·
overthinker extraordinar
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The flat I refered to was for the EGR - duh111?!!

GM, the adapter I refer to is the one needed to mount onto the edelbrock. The manifold is made to take either a 4bbl or a 2bbl, The mount from edelbrock for that choice is separate. Yeas I do have all of the Weber stuff, and that will bolt directly onto the edelbrock adapter I refer to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your engine is the same as the the engine for the '82 - 84 Camaro/Firebird '84-'86 Jeep Cherokee and '86 Jeep Comanche. The transverse block is different but the intake should be the same, the water neck is different though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i have that eddy 2bbl top ill sell you as i dont need it.

let me know..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.