S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, next week ill be starting on my sub box. i know ported boxes need some sort of lining, insulation, whatever it is called, but what should i use to do this? also, would using 3M spray adhesive be the best way to adhere the lining to the box itself?

·
BARELY Tuckin' Tire
5,862 Posts
i've never heard of ported boxes "needing" insulation (polyfill) i've heard of people doing it to make up for room they didn't have...but your best bet is you build that box to the correct specs for the sub...then you won't have to use polyfil at all...and it will sound much better, trust me... :)

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Almost all manufactures recommend at least one side of a ported box be lined with 1" or thicker fiberfill, polyfill, fiberglass, etc. I've had good luck just lightly stuffing ported enclosures with polyfill, using a little adhesive to stick it to the sides. For sealed the recommended amount is 1.5 lb per cubic foot, for ported I run about 1 pound per cubic foot, max.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have built a lot of ported boxes in my day. I never use anything to "insulate" them. I know kicker has in the past recommend it in there sealed boxes, to the best of my knowledge Rockford fosgate has never recommended the use of polly fill unless it was a undersized sealed box.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eh...i didnt mean polyfill per se, i meant an actual sticky lining (think foam insulation used on concrete basement walls) to reduce any resonance in the box. i remember reading a post a little bit back that said ported boxes should have some sort of foam/thin lightweight non-fluffy material to reduce...something...sorry if this seems dumb, guys, but its my first box/install.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Infinity recommends "all sides lined with 1" fiberglass or fiberfill" for all their ported enclosures. I think there are a good number of other companies that recommend the same, but I can't remember off-hand.

Basement wall insulation (blue board) would not work. It's a closed cell foam and would act basically as a block, taking up airspace. I've seen a few home audio speakers (linked to from www.diysubwoofers.org ) that use fiberglass home insulation for damping, in ported boxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts