S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the color of the bulbs for their instrument cluster??? I would like to change mine to blue, but I don't know if it can be done.

THX.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weasel said:
you can just remove the dash and the instrament cluster and the bulb is right behind it......
I thought that there were multiple bulb sockets that had to be replaced, since the oem ones are glued into the sockets.

·
Medium Pimpin'
2,403 Posts
Pewter01 said:

I thought that there were multiple bulb sockets that had to be replaced, since the oem ones are glued into the sockets.
i replaced all of mine on the interior and just had to get the bulbs......

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weasel said:

i replaced all of mine on the interior and just had to get the bulbs......
I'm looking into getting some really bright L.E.D. replacements for mine. Are all the bulbs 194's??

·
Med School member
179 Posts
Only the bulbs in the gage cluster are 194....the others are littler. And YES you will have to replace the bulb socket. The factory ones are glued into the socket. It looks cool, but mine kept coming undone(the socket) so I took them out.

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
for the time being, try this trick out.

pull the left hand isde of the dashboard bezel from the dash. Look on the backside of the dimmer switch, should be 4 wires coming out. Probe the wires to find the 12v and the dimmer. Then splice em together.

I hated how dim my gauges were and was always so close on the adjustment that the interior lights would pop on when I hit a bump. So I just tied the dimmer to 12 volts so I don't have to worry about it anymore. have had this mod on my truck for about 3 years now and no problems.

good luck.

·
Future Submariner
37 Posts
here is the deal with LEDs

ok i explained this on one of the other boards but i just started out here so i will explain......i replaced my 194 bulbs with some blue leds...this was not easy and was totally custom...if you dont know anything about electronics dont ask cause its way more than i want to explain...........i found a company that makes an led that is a direct replacement for the 194 bulb....i found 194 sockets at discount auto parts that i am gonna try out soon.....i got this company to sample me 4 of these bulbs.....i was gonna start a little side project and sell a kit to convert the lights to leds......(red, blue, bright white.)...the only problem is that these little lights are $7/each....which means a kit with really good instructions would cost at least $80/each (i have to make a profit other wise it wouldnt be worth the time) and i doubt that anyone would spend that much just to change the color of the numbers at night..now unless i get an tons of postive feedback on this i am NOT going to be offering anything for sale......
if i could develop this it would be way easier than replacing the gauge faces b/c it would involve only replacing "plug and play" light sockets...(i.e. you dont have to take apart your gauges and wire them up to power)......anyway i gonna end this book now..im kinda busy with work right now but i will offer any help that i can to anyone........
(let me know if there is any serious interest in a custom led gauge light kit..)
later
David

·
Registered
1 Posts
GMCSonoma00 said:
Only the bulbs in the gage cluster are 194....the others are littler. And YES you will have to replace the bulb socket. The factory ones are glued into the socket. It looks cool, but mine kept coming undone(the socket) so I took them out.
Where did you get the sockets at?:rolleyes:

·
Med School member
179 Posts
Auto Zone, pep boys, ect.

·
General L33
1,950 Posts
Hey DRUTH,

Just had an awesome idea.

Found some diffusers for the LEDs!!! I got a burner, I got cases... My wife went out and got some little slim line colored cases w/ all kinds of funky colors. I can just cut the cases, warm them up and shape them exactly how I want them, wha la, instant colored diffusers!!!

The slimline cases are really cheap and have really thin plastic, so this will work pretty good, also the plastic is textured, so all the more better. You can cut some of the resistance on your lights and let some more light through, then throw the diffuser in there and be done with it.

I don't know if the plastic will hold up to the heat of the 194 bulbs though...

just thinking out loud..

later,

·
Future Submariner
37 Posts
youll just need some hi temp plastic cause those little bulbs will get pretty hot....just turn on you interior lights and touch the dome light after about 30 seconds

·
Future Submariner
37 Posts
my gauges

here ya go..blue leds sorry about the quality ill take some more sooner or later

Attachments

·
Med School member
179 Posts
where did you get those?

·
Future Submariner
37 Posts
i made the lights out of blue leds......gauges are normal during the day....ill take some more pics tonight if my gf brings me her digital camera......that pic really sucks

·
Niner Hater
195 Posts
DRUTH?.....what did you ask for when u went to buy the sockets for the new bulbs?.... because i went to pepboys, and i couldn't find them........and did you use LED's or are those Blue #194 bulbs?........oh, and last question.....what do the sockets look like?......i just want to get everything together before i start. :confused:

·
Future Submariner
37 Posts
can you guys read or do you skip over all of the long posts? i must have mentioned led's like 4x's now.....****....sorry had to vent.....sockets are on the aisle with all of the other lighting stuff.....but the 1/2"...they look like a piece of plastic that holds a light bulb...thats the best i can do...its from calterm ...called ON THE PACKAGE "instrument panel socket"

1 - 20 of 47 Posts