S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 sonoma without tach. Was thinking about putting a 97 cluster with tach in. Will the computer configure itself to make the rpm gauge work? Or do I have to do something else? Thanxs

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
will the mileage recorded on the gauge your swapping in be your new mileage? Meaning, if I have 50,000 miles and I out in a new gauge cluster w/25,000 miles, will it show 25,000 miles after the install is complete?

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Yes the odometer will show whatever it was from the cluster you got it from, so if you have 50k on your truck and you get a cluster with 25k on it, its still going to read 25k.

And yes, you should be able to swap in the 97 cluster complete with tach without any problems, should just plug right in.

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
ain't that some sh*t, that easy to get back into warranty, huh?
Not that I'm doing it for that reason, it just so happens I want a gauge cluster w/tach and the ones I'm looking at have low miles.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
3rdCoastCrawlin said:
ain't that some sh*t, that easy to get back into warranty, huh?
Not that I'm doing it for that reason, it just so happens I want a gauge cluster w/tach and the ones I'm looking at have low miles.
Haha yeah as far as I know the odometer stays the same when swapping, so yes that would be convenient if you wanted to "get back into" the warranty period!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Won't work. There's a "cheater" device under the hood, so that if the cheater and the odometer don't match, you're busted. I learned that from my ex-wife's 1997 F150.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. But I dont have to worry about the warranty thing tho. There is none

·
Registered
37 Posts
theres a lot of ways the dealership can tell how many miles your truck has on it besides looking at the dash.. the PCM, Transmission, looking at the wear on the pedals.. it just a matter of them looking into it or not.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've got a cluster out of a bravada with a 120mph speedo and tach. Will it hook up to a s10, it looks the same?

·
Slayer of Hemis
209 Posts
I swapped a cluster in a 97 Sonoma, just remove old and drop in new. It can be a hassle taking off all the trim and dropping the column for the extra clearance you will need. And the truck dosent freak out or anything once you swap them.... trying to get more out of your warranty though, thats another question.

·
Registered
726 Posts
as for the bravada 120mph speedo I dont know if that will work correctly or not
the speedo may need to be calibrated to function correctly but then again I may be wrong on that
the speedo may be plug and play just like the tach-no tach thing

·
Registered
466 Posts
The bravada cluster has 36,000 miles on it and mine only has 18,000 so I'm going to wait till my warranty is up before I try it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts