S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 S-10 4.3 4WD. The instrument cluster lights have quit working. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks!

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Have you checked the actual bulbs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
im having the same problem, it just happened tonight and i bet its because of the new CD player i just installed. after hooking up the CD player i now have NO park lights or dash lights. im assuming it has to do with the two wires ( light brown and dark brown) that did not have a place to be hooked up to the new cd player. are those two wires the power and ground for those lights. i already checked the fuses but it just happened about 1 hour ago so i havent checked in to a new dimmer / headlight switch. so any ideas about Blackdogs problem may help me as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh im about 99% sure its a wiring issue, but the radio, headlights, turnsignals, highbeam indicator, all work just no park lights or dash knob and gauge lights. after installing the CD player there were a light brown and a dark brown wire left, im assuming that one is a ground while the other is a hot wire somehow wired into the parklight switch ...thats just my guess. BUT befor i go trying to ground one wire and hook the other to a hot source id like to make sure thats what they are to keep from frying a fuse or starting a fire...

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
check the wiring diagrams, I'm sure there's a common point somewhere. I'd help you, but for the next week, i'm pretty busy as I'm headed back to Indiana this saturday, still have to pack and all.

·
Registered
564 Posts
im having the same problem, it just happened tonight and i bet its because of the new CD player i just installed. after hooking up the CD player i now have NO park lights or dash lights. im assuming it has to do with the two wires ( light brown and dark brown) that did not have a place to be hooked up to the new cd player. are those two wires the power and ground for those lights. i already checked the fuses but it just happened about 1 hour ago so i havent checked in to a new dimmer / headlight switch. so any ideas about Blackdogs problem may help me as well.
You didn't mention model year and if old radio had separate amp. Wiring could be different ... it does appear there's a chance for a mis-wire.

According to 1998 diagram (attached):

o Radio Ignition - 10A fuse - DK GRN (dark green)
o Radio Battery - 15A fuse - ORG (orange)
o Radio Lighting - GRY (gray)* see below
o Tan wire (not light brown) goes to + side of left front speaker
o Brown wire - goes to + side of right rear speaker

Note the diagram lists two gray wires - one for panel lights and the other for low-side (-) of left front speaker. If true - you'll need a ohm-meter to sort these out.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts