S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the instrument cluster on my "new to me" 1993 S10 to replace a couple of the dash lights. My problem is getting the cluster reinstalled.

When I try to mount the cluster on the 4 studs the studs do not align with the mounting holes. If I place the cluster on the top 2 studs the bottom studs are out of alignment. Same but opposite if I align the bottom holes.

Is there a specific angle one has to use the align the studs along with the electric connector?

I read on a previous post that it is simply a matter of using the appropriate force to set the connector. But, my concern is that I am going to cause more problems if the mounting
studs are misaligned.

When I removed the cluster it did not come straight off of the studs. I had to remove the cluster off the top stud and the lever off the bottom of the cluster.

Any suggestions?

Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just finished the exact same project! Also replaced the temperature gauge and repainted the blue background on the gauges, which were starting to rust.
I got the cluster back in, with the connectors aligned, by starting with the top holes barely over the studs, then I worked the bottom holes about halfway down, then back to the top - just slowly jockeying back and forth. Took a few tries and some cuss words, but the connector finally slipped into place. I did have to push pretty hard on the lower left of the panel, but nothing excessive.

Now, I have a problem I can't explain, and I could use some help from anyone out there. The dash lights and all the switches work fine, but now the engine won't start. Turns over okay, gets gas - but no ignition. Ran just fine before I removed the instrument panel. Is it just a weird coincidence or did I disconnect something?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a try tomorrow.

When you placed the cluster on the top studs did the bottom mounting holes line up with the bottom studs?

Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to put some pressure on the studs, bending them a little to fit them into the holes, but, again, nothing excessive. As I worked the console back and forth, the threads wore the holes in the plastic a little bigger - more of an oval than a circle. Not a bad thing, I suppose, because that should make it easier to remove and replace if there is a next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts