S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kae i just bought a dvd player and 5.6 screen for 175 today..im planning on installin it tonight...i got a question tho..for the screen..in order to get power to it..well theres the jack to go to the dvd player and there 2 other wires..ground(black) and power(red) the power has a fuse on it..my question is could i connect to the harness on the back of my HU(splicing is it?)? or do i have to run a completly different line to the Batt and ground?
oh and same for my dvd player...there are 2 ways i can feed power to it...one is thru the ciggarette lighter stuff..and the other was is the same as the screen..red and black wire..oh the red wire has a fuse too like the screen...thanks guys

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
when i did one of those systems like ur talking about i went to the ignition harness and got the power there for both units instead of taggin at the deck...

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol sorry if im stupid..but..where's the ignition harness?? what color is the wires?

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
if u pull the dash down under ur steering column the wires will run up along ur steering column shaft up to the wheel..in our trucks they will be covered by a black mess netting around them...the wire color u want to tag into is depending if u want to be able to turn them on whenever or turn them on only when a key is in the ignition...don't worry bout sounding stupid casue u don't...we r all here to ask and answer questions!!!

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol okae thanks..i wanna be able to turn them on only wen i got the key in..like wen ever the HU is on.. :D thanks again man

·
Squid Life
1,771 Posts
Buy yourself one of those "looks like a screwdriver with a fuse and a wire" test lights...jam the thing into the back of a connector until you get it to light up and then shut the ignition off...if the light goes out...splice the bitch in.

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
it is the big thick pink wire that ur looking for then...don't foget to fuse it!!

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea the power wires have fuses on them..
u sure now..the pink wire.. what color is the ground wire??

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
i would not tap into a factory ground...make ur own...u'll run into road noise and alternator whine...juts screw the ground into the metal sill plates...and i'm dead sure on the wire color...gm hasn't change their colors forever...just remmember its a thick one...when u take the bundle apart that has black mesh around it there will be like 20 guage wires then these 12 to 10 gauge wires ...these are the ones u'll need...to take apart the dash there are i think 5 seven mm...to take the dash off u'll have to go down by the ebrake and disconnect the wire from the metal holder its on..u have to do this casue the ebrake release handle is on the dash...pull the little metal lever toward u and u can take the wire with the little metal end out of it..kinda like the brakes on a bike....follow the ebrake wire back up towards the handle and u will find a plastic o ring just pull this out like u were pulling it out towards the pass side...the dash should then dropp...u'll need to take the four 10mm out of the metal surround that protects the wire and other things....p.s. be carefull of the little light that is connected to the plastic part of the dash...it gets very hot...first thing take that bulb out or presss ur domelight override button

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
okae okae..one more question..is there any other pink wires that i might get mixed up with? or theres only One pink wire? if there is other pink wires..i just look for the FATTEST one right?

oh and i can put the screen power and the dvd power to that pink one right?? thanks

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey can i tag my HU ground for my screen? cuz i connected to the metal plate under the steering wheel column..and everyting works just fine except that i get engine..big time..so yea..would it be alright if i did that? thanks guys..

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damnit..i still get engine noise..my ground is on the air bag frame...could it be the rca cables??

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i dunno..it came with it wen i bought it...
im beggin to blame the dvd player...cuz the ground was moved many times and still same result..and i also ran the RCA cables several times too...and still the same...could the dvd player be so sensitive that it pick up engine noise?? you know like wen sometime ur watchin TV and someone turns on or off a light or a fan near by..the TV flickers or something like that...could it be like that?? or...i dunno...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts