S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that there is a tach signal going into the gauge cluster...is that the easiest/best way to connect the green wire ? If not what should I do ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. I'm getting very frustrated. So far everything I have read isnt working. Pin 10 isnt white its purple on the black plug. I have my cluster out trying to use a voltmeter to find the signal on the wires going into the cluster clip and found out the voltmeter i have doesnt read past 1000 volts. Someone help. I have a 98 4.3 5 speed manual s10. Thanks

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
why would u need a voltmeter that reads past 1000 volts when tach should be between 1 and 6 volts AC..so make sure ur voltemeter is on alternating current and test the wire....at rest it shouldn't read anything then while running it should read between 1-6 volts AC....like orang said its a white wire that could be connected at the coil or i think its also at the black plug on the ecm..u don't have to drill through the firewall just poke like and anteena throuhga rubber grommet and feed the wore through that way

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
10 pin at the gauges inside the truck??

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
don't count the pins ..like i said its white and i belive it in the black plug.....if not u can grad it at the ignition coil or any of the injectors...if u grab the tach signal from an injector look at all of them ...each injector will have one wire on all of them that is the same color...tap into the one that is an opposite color

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the tach installed...but there is no signal for the tach. I have it hooked up to pin 20 on the red plug which is a white wire. Everything else works like the lighting of the tach. Help.

·
forum idiot
49,646 Posts
sabre said:
I have the tach installed...but there is no signal for the tach. I have it hooked up to pin 20 on the red plug which is a white wire. Everything else works like the lighting of the tach. Help.
dude you would have been done and lookin at you tach working if you would have just listened to me...go to the coil under the hood...its simple to run wires out there...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
VSS Wire: Loc 17 Black 24 Pin Conn Pos 3 (also requires 250-4255)
VSS Wire Color: Green/White
VSS Pulse: 4000
VSS Tach Wire: Loc 17 Clear or White 32 Pin Conn Pos 9
Tach Signal Wire Color: White
Brake Switch Positive: Orange
Brake Switch Negative: White

This is done at the PCM in the engine compartment

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So which plug and which pin on the pcm ? So far I've been told the black the red and the white plug pin 10 and 20. Does anyone really have a clue because everyone has told me something different

VSS Wire: Loc 17 Black 24 Pin Conn Pos 3 (also requires 250-4255)
VSS Wire Color: Green/White
VSS Pulse: 4000
VSS Tach Wire: Loc 17 Clear or White 32 Pin Conn Pos 9
Tach Signal Wire Color: White
Brake Switch Positive: Orange
Brake Switch Negative: White

What is all that suppose to mean ?
Are you saying the white wire on the white plug ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you sure this works ? I don't want to connect it and find it that don't work either. What manual are you reading this from ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts