S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
psst psst member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a audiovox alarm with remote start from another member on bl.com n e ways i am pretty good with electrical but this sh*t looks pretty hard what do u guys think i should do have a pro do it or try to tackle it myself?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
depends on which model. lower line are crap but if you get the higher ones there are pretty good. but no alarm is as good as theinstaller can make it.

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
the last audiovox i installed was into some kids beat up civc.. the alarm served its purpose but as stated... an alarm is only as good as its installer.. the brain was pretty big from what i remembered so i had to do some creative placing

·
psst psst member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thats a good alarm system. If you need help shoot me a PM, I installed alot of them when I installed at Circuit City back in the day.

The 2 things that I don't like about them is that their a pain in the ass to program, and like mentioned above, the size of the brain. Other than that, that model is actually on par with systems made by DEI. The shock sensors are sensative as hell too.

·
psst psst member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey laynlow where are u located? circuit city doesnt sell them n e more so the free install wouldnt work but they cheapest i found installed is 170 is that good? he said something about pass lock and it is hard to get the remote start to work?

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
170s not bad at all as long as they guy know what hes doing and it comes with a lifetime warranty on the install... as for passlock.. if its either ur 89 or 96 neither have it.. personally id take it to someone else if thye your truck has ne sort of passlock system cause they dont know nething then

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm located in Buffalo NY.

Circuit City never had free install on alarm systems, that was only for decks. They stopped carrying Audiovox durring the fall of 04 I believe.

I would be more concerned about whos doing the install more than the cost of the install. $170 in labor is cheap for that type of alarm system. I charge more than that. Theres different things you want to look at rather than the cost, do they t-tap it or solder it, is the brain hidden or just tossed under the dash, do they use hoodpins, do they run a tach wire for the remote start, whats the warrenty after the installation is done.

I don't know your ability on electrical, so I can't say if you should install it or not. I talked a member thru doing his own remote starter a few months ago and it worked perfect for him. The hardest part is prepping the alarm correctly and knowing what wires are needed. If you were going to attempt it yourself, set aside a weekend to do the install.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
How much are you paying? I got a brand new 996a brand new for like 125 plus shipping. If I can recommend it get the telematics piece. best thing there is. You can call and start your car from ANY phone in world.

·
psst psst member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
laynlow03xtreme said:
I'm located in Buffalo NY.

Circuit City never had free install on alarm systems, that was only for decks. They stopped carrying Audiovox durring the fall of 04 I believe.

I would be more concerned about whos doing the install more than the cost of the install. $170 in labor is cheap for that type of alarm system. I charge more than that. Theres different things you want to look at rather than the cost, do they t-tap it or solder it, is the brain hidden or just tossed under the dash, do they use hoodpins, do they run a tach wire for the remote start, whats the warrenty after the installation is done.

I don't know your ability on electrical, so I can't say if you should install it or not. I talked a member thru doing his own remote starter a few months ago and it worked perfect for him. The hardest part is prepping the alarm correctly and knowing what wires are needed. If you were going to attempt it yourself, set aside a weekend to do the install.
so on my 96 there is not pass lock or n e thing like that?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Is the one your getting the 2 way? The 996a i got was the 2 way. How much did you pay? Well anyways, vary easy truck to install in. No passlock (started in 98 in s-10, blazer), just a 2nd ing. wire (which is a must otherwise some dummy light turns on)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts