S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed the vette servo today into my 96 S10 4x4. Very pleased with the results. Best $12 mod ever :) I have medium wrenching skills, and get hung up on occasional things, but this went virtually snag-free. Didn't even have to cut the blue O-ring to get the cover off. Did have to drop the right side of the trans crossmember a couple inches to make more space to remove the servo. It created less to fit my hand in there and the torsion bar and TCI +2qt trans pan didn't help.

Only thing to add to others experiences is that make sure to wash the servo cover down well with some sort of cleaner (brake cleaner works) before removing it. A long flathead screwdriver is extremely helpful, and a vice and some blocks of wood (or a friend, of which i have none) to disassemble and reassemble the apply piston is also helpful to have.

Results are that it shifts faster and firmer, and has better holding power (especially in overdrive) than stock by far. Great mod! Highly recommended.

·
Day: Geek - Night: Nerd
337 Posts
Couple of questions...

What trans do you have?
What is the part number for the servo?
How long did it take you?

Thx!

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure thing.

I have a 96 4L60E, just the typical automatic 4-speed with overdrive trans for our 4.3L engines. This servo should fit all years of 4L60E.

http://www.kdsperformance.com/corser700r44.html
The KDS Performance part number is TR10001 and its $15 there. (I got mine for $12 on ebay, identical unit).

It took me under an hour, and I even pulled the two bolts on the right-hand side of the transmission crossmember and dropped it down a few inches to give more space to work. Don't think it was really needed but it made it easier to get at the snap ring that holds the cover on.

Tools used:
1. long flathead screwdriver used as a prybar to depress servo cover.
2. Long skinny flathead used to remove servo cover snap-ring, pry the cover out and take e-clip off of servo assembly when removed.
3. Channel locks used to assist in removing cover.
4. A vice to disassemble old apply piston and reassemble new one. A friend is a suitable replacement tool for this.
5. a wrench and socket to pull the trans crossmember bolts
6. jack and jackstands, or a set of ramps.

I'm quite far from a professional mechanic. Did this in the driveway in chilly weather in under an hour with very few tools.

Just make sure you lubricate the parts up when you put them back together. White lithium grease or just good ol ATF works fine for this. Lost maybe 1/3 of a quart of fluid total thorough the process.

·
I am all that is man.....
433 Posts
That's about the cheapest one I've seen, I just ordered it. I ordered my tranny kit Friday. A B&M kit. Comes with all new clutches, bands, etc., and stuff to convert to a manual valve body. I'll probably rebuild it in a week or two.

·
Registered
48 Posts
nater006 said:
Sure thing.

I have a 96 4L60E, just the typical automatic 4-speed with overdrive trans for our 4.3L engines. This servo should fit all years of 4L60E.

http://www.kdsperformance.com/corser700r44.html
The KDS Performance part number is TR10001 and its $15 there. (I got mine for $12 on ebay, identical unit).

It took me under an hour, and I even pulled the two bolts on the right-hand side of the transmission crossmember and dropped it down a few inches to give more space to work. Don't think it was really needed but it made it easier to get at the snap ring that holds the cover on.

Tools used:
1. long flathead screwdriver used as a prybar to depress servo cover.
2. Long skinny flathead used to remove servo cover snap-ring, pry the cover out and take e-clip off of servo assembly when removed.
3. Channel locks used to assist in removing cover.
4. A vice to disassemble old apply piston and reassemble new one. A friend is a suitable replacement tool for this.
5. a wrench and socket to pull the trans crossmember bolts
6. jack and jackstands, or a set of ramps.

I'm quite far from a professional mechanic. Did this in the driveway in chilly weather in under an hour with very few tools.

Just make sure you lubricate the parts up when you put them back together. White lithium grease or just good ol ATF works fine for this. Lost maybe 1/3 of a quart of fluid total thorough the process.
I've seen 'professional mechanics' who were total schlok artists. Sounds like you did a bang-up job considering your working environment. I'm going to rebuild my 1989 700R4 with the rebuild kit and video from KDS. That web site kicks ass.

http://www.kdsperformance.com/comrebkitwit.html

:pimp:

·
Registered
32 Posts
just installed my vette servo yesterday. i am very pleased with the results. it only took me 45 - 50 minutes to put it in. it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
just installed my vette servo yesterday. i am very pleased with the results. it only took me 45 - 50 minutes to put it in. it was pretty easy.
Was it hard to remove the servo cover? and did you have to slide the tranny over to the drivers side to make more room? and do you have to push in the servo cover first in order to remove the snap ring? thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
it wasnt that hard to remove the cover at all. just make sure you clean the top of the cover before you remove it though. the only thing is that the seal for the cover might hang it up some, it did for me a little. if it does just cut the seal and it will come out just fine. as far as the tranny i took the bottom bolt out of the mount and was able to move the tranny some to get a little more room. it wont move alot without some force but it can be done. i hope this helps some.

·
Registered
32 Posts
oh yeah, and yes you have to compress the cove to get the snap ring out. sorry fogot to put that in the last post

·
Registered
473 Posts
it wasnt that hard to remove the cover at all. just make sure you clean the top of the cover before you remove it though. the only thing is that the seal for the cover might hang it up some, it did for me a little. if it does just cut the seal and it will come out just fine. as far as the tranny i took the bottom bolt out of the mount and was able to move the tranny some to get a little more room. it wont move alot without some force but it can be done. i hope this helps some.
Whats on top of the servo cover that needs to be cleaned? and do i need a large C clamp to press in the servo cover?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i would clean the cover just to make sure no dirt gets down inside when you get the cover off, i cleaned mine just for precaution. i tried to use a clamp but i couldnt get it to work, so i just used a pry bar to put in between the cover and the floor pan. it doesnt really take alot to push the cover in at all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i would clean the cover just to make sure no dirt gets down inside when you get the cover off, i cleaned mine just for precaution. i tried to use a clamp but i couldnt get it to work, so i just used a pry bar to put in between the cover and the floor pan. it doesnt really take alot to push the cover in at all.
what should i use to clean my servo cover? water and soap? or a solvent like carb cleaner in a spray can? Also got a long screw driver pry bar and tried to press in the servo cover but it wasn't moving and i did not want to dent the floor pan. and i doing it wrong somehow?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts