S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ol' bodybuilder
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The instructions do not cover this.

It looks like you need to provide "two" constant 12V sources to the receiver - one that's a spade connector and another that's the red fused-wire in the harness.

I assume that the fused -wire is power for the receiver and the spade connector is power for the solenoids? If that's the case, what size fuse protection should I use for the spade-connected voltage source?

Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
i've had the SPAL kit in my honda for like 4.5 years now and haven't had any problems except the batteries i remote die too fast but i have mine with a 10-12 ga wire running off one constant 12v source in the engine bay into the car and that's the only one for power...those kits are pretty much self explainitory but if you need anything else let me know...like i said before...4.5 years and not one problem yet!...hell I even have the same solenoids in the doors that the kit came with!

·
Registered
119 Posts
i lost my directions but i need the answer to this question.....why do you need the spade wires and the harness and where do you run each?if anyone knows where a copy of directions are online please provide link

·
ol' bodybuilder
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I found out - the smaller gauge wire with the fuse is power for the "receiver." The large 12g red wire is power for the solenoids.

I pulled my power for these in series off a power source in the engine compartment, driver's side fender - on top, closer to the firewall. Underneath a plastic cover is a block where lots of large gauge wires are screwed onto. There a large, like 10g red wire there. I just took the nut off this wire and used the same type of connector with a 12g wire.

I made a 1/2" hole in the firewall and ran this 12g red wire through - as well the 2 wires for the emergency/backup switch. In series, I connected these two red wires (receiver & solenoid) and the power for the emergency/backup switch.

·
ol' bodybuilder
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also wire-nutted everything and used contact paste - cause some wires are aluminum and some were copper. And - it's just a good practice to use the paste anyways. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts