S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my olive drab queen extended cab 3 door 2001 Chevy S-10 sinc purchasing it as second owner, in 2007. I've kept it taken care of, keeping it parked under and extended carport cover, too, having it properly worked on, etc. Have endured the factory radio and speakers degrading over time, and am finally gathering what I want/need for a fresh sound system.....Alpine stereo, and amplifier, and Polk door speakers, but am at odds regarding dash speakers. I do have someone lined up to install, too. Just wanted forum member's input. Everything I've acquired thus far, has been via patient searching, and sussing out the absolute best price on each component, the door speakers are from Crutchfield, on sale+open box, the Alpine Stereo, is via FB marketplace....the seller car was totaled prior to him even having time to install his Alpine,,,,,I noticed he had the car as is posted for sale, also, after messaging with him, sealed the deal, for me. And my KTA 450 Alpine Amplifier is en route to me, now. It's been piece meal in that sense, but since I'm on a very limited budget via disabililty due to Chiari 1 Malformation & Syringomyelia, it had to be that way.....a little time consuming, but with my low income internet as my tool, I've done it. So..........please....input on the brand of dash speakers for a 2001 Chevy S10. I hope and plan on keeping my truck forever, just like Sam Walton, lol....I want to keep it until it expires, or I do, lol......and since it has 84K miles on it......perhaps I'll be successful in my endeavor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.
Moved to Sound/Security.

You might try looking at Crutchfield.
Hi, thanks for responding. I did purchase my Polk door speakers from Crutchfield.....just sort of grew weary of searching around, at their site. I should go ahead and call them this upcoming week and see what will fit my truck dash.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Here's a crazy idea. How about you go to a local stereo shop and actually LISTEN to speakers? Instead of picking speakers because they're cheap and/or look cool. That's a sure road to disappointment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The factory typically has tweeters in the dash position. They sit in angled plates that do a great job of directing the highs correctly. I've had good luck in a couple of the 2000 era trucks fitting aftermarket tweeters into that position with great results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a crazy idea. How about you go to a local stereo shop and actually LISTEN to speakers? Instead of picking speakers because they're cheap and/or look cool. That's a sure road to disappointment. :rolleyes:
Dohhh, rolleyes how stupid of me not to think of that, ikr? I've had truck repairs done, prior, and then am facing two more this week, have been keeping a low profile re driving no more than necessary. Also, I don't always feel upto gettting out in person and shopping.......i have a congenital disorder known as Chiari 1 Malformation, and it has caused a brain fluid filled cyst to form in my spinal canal. I have good days, and bad days........therefore I tend to try to shop online. I do care about the quality of my system. It's why I wound up choosing an Alpine system and Alpine Amp, and why I researched re the Polk speakers. I do appreciate your suggestion, after I get my fuel line replaced in my truck, and get the wheel sensors taken care of.......I'll check the only two stereo locally owned stereo shops I know of. I am in Texarkana, which is 70ish miles from Shrevport, La, and a 3.5 hour drive from Dallas. I don't buy because an item, be it a speaker, or whatever, is cheap and "looks cool".

·
6th Incarnation
811 Posts
I've been running some cheapo Pioneer 2-ways in the dash, and stock in the doors. Would have replaced the doors but I noticed they were already 4 ohm (somewhat rare for factory speakers). Best improvement came from a small amp though. I think a similar set of dash speakers would be $50 or $100 and even available at most auto parts shops.

That said I wouldn't pair Pioneers with Polks, it would sound awful. My advice would be to look for speakers with a similar signal-to-noise ratio (or sensitivity) as your door speakers, and that will give the most balanced sound inside the cab. Are your speakers in the doors 1-way or 2-way? That would also affect my decision.

·
time to get cereal
3,209 Posts
When I had a stereo in my old car, I didn't even have rear speakers. 2 10" subs ran in stereo and the door speakers with crossovers and tweeters, had separate amps for the subs and speakers and turned the head unit amplifier off (can you still do that with new ones?). It was basically like having two three-way towers in a car. Sounded pretty good and definitely disturbed the peace, lol.

Good door speakers with crossovers and tweeters, and a sub or two behind the seats should do the trick. I never liked having subs right behind me though, it was nicer when I had a trunk.

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
I upgraded to Infinity Kappas that have a tweeter and mid to replace the factory speakers in the same opening perfectly. I liked them so much that I replaced the Alpines that I had in the doors with a set of 6.5 inch Kappas as well. They are very efficient and don't require an amp to sound good I'm powering them directly from my Kenwood head unit. besides listening to them you need to look at the specs like dbs at 1watt and frequency response. The dash speakers I have are Kappa 64cfx sensitivity is 94 DB and they are a 4 X 6 plate response 75 HZ to 25 KHZ and they are rated 60 watts continuous and 180 peak. They are a lot of speaker for the money and fit perfectly in a second-gen dash. Most people are amazed by how good my system sounds with no extra amps and I don't need to impress anyone with how loud my system is all I need is good clean sound for my classic rock.

They can be found for around $130, not cheap but you get what you pay for. There are higher-end options but I don't think you gain much in sound quality and these are pretty much in the middle range price wise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been running some cheapo Pioneer 2-ways in the dash, and stock in the doors. Would have replaced the doors but I noticed they were already 4 ohm (somewhat rare for factory speakers). Best improvement came from a small amp though. I think a similar set of dash speakers would be $50 or $100 and even available at most auto parts shops.

That said I wouldn't pair Pioneers with Polks, it would sound awful. My advice would be to look for speakers with a similar signal-to-noise ratio (or sensitivity) as your door speakers, and that will give the most balanced sound inside the cab. Are your speakers in the doors 1-way or 2-way? That would also affect my decision.
Ryan, hi.

The Polks are 2-way.
I bought Polk Audio DB 522 (DB+ Series 5-1/4" 2-way speakers (from Crutchfield), to go with the Alpine ILX-W650 receiver and Alpine KTA-450 amplifier I purchased (via FB Marketplace, and via Ebay, in that order. (Had to find other source, due to my budget It doesn't have to be the same brand, but---I am considering the Polk Audio DB462 4x6" 150W 2-Way Car/Marine Coaxial Speakers for my truck's dash. I am concerned that they won't fit properly? Also, I know the Polk speakers I bought, will fit my 2001 Chevy S10 Extended Cab truck doors, but I hope it's a good match sound wise/balance wise, to the Alpine components. In searching for info within this forum, I saw some discussion about the space in the dash being constricted (?). This has been a big learning curve, for me. My truck is in the shop now, and I just know I need to go ahead and figure which dash speakers to buy, I just need for things to be right....and I need to get them ordered so as to have them ready to hand over to the shop along with my other items. My budget is a balancing act......I wish things were different, and that I could have just bought everything at once from Crutchfield.......sure would have been more simple. But my stereo and amp, wound up costing $350.00 total the way I did it, versus around $540.00. Even with purchasing the harness etc on my own, still ending up costing less than Crutchfield.

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
Ryan, hi.

The Polks are 2-way.
I bought Polk Audio DB 522 (DB+ Series 5-1/4" 2-way speakers (from Crutchfield), to go with the Alpine ILX-W650 receiver and Alpine KTA-450 amplifier I purchased (via FB Marketplace, and via Ebay, in that order. (Had to find other source, due to my budget It doesn't have to be the same brand, but---I am considering the Polk Audio DB462 4x6" 150W 2-Way Car/Marine Coaxial Speakers for my truck's dash. I am concerned that they won't fit properly? Also, I know the Polk speakers I bought, will fit my 2001 Chevy S10 Extended Cab truck doors, but I hope it's a good match sound wise/balance wise, to the Alpine components. In searching for info within this forum, I saw some discussion about the space in the dash being constricted (?). This has been a big learning curve, for me. My truck is in the shop now, and I just know I need to go ahead and figure which dash speakers to buy, I just need for things to be right....and I need to get them ordered so as to have them ready to hand over to the shop along with my other items. My budget is a balancing act......I wish things were different, and that I could have just bought everything at once from Crutchfield.......sure would have been more simple. But my stereo and amp, wound up costing $350.00 total the way I did it, versus around $540.00. Even with purchasing the harness etc on my own, still ending up costing less than Crutchfield.
I started off with the Polks and Alpines in the doors when I first installed my Kenwood but much better sound from the Infinitys now. I did have to trim the opening a little to get the Polks to fit in the dash but the Infinitys will fit with no trimming. 6.5s will fit the doors with no problems.

·
6th Incarnation
811 Posts
Ryan, hi.

The Polks are 2-way.
I bought Polk Audio DB 522 (DB+ Series 5-1/4" 2-way speakers (from Crutchfield), to go with the Alpine ILX-W650 receiver and Alpine KTA-450 amplifier I purchased (via FB Marketplace, and via Ebay, in that order. (Had to find other source, due to my budget It doesn't have to be the same brand, but---I am considering the Polk Audio DB462 4x6" 150W 2-Way Car/Marine Coaxial Speakers for my truck's dash. I am concerned that they won't fit properly? Also, I know the Polk speakers I bought, will fit my 2001 Chevy S10 Extended Cab truck doors, but I hope it's a good match sound wise/balance wise, to the Alpine components.
In my experience dash speakers can require a little creativity to mount just right. I have a few brackets and small, thin metal plates left over from various speakers or lights, that's helped me out before. I thought the Polk DB462's were fine but went out and checked through my cracked speaker grilles. They are only 2x4" unless some dashes are different than I'm thinking. Mine is a 3-door 2nd gen also.

Just about all my audio systems have been budget limited one way or the other. If you can wait for deals or discontinuations sometimes that will land you pretty nice equipment within your price range. Sounds like you've done that already, so good! I like Polks. DB 652's are what I used in my other vehicle, and they sounded GREAT even before I added a sub. Lots of clean bass response. I don't know if the Alpine amp will be enough power for the 522's. Could be fine.

I started off with the Polks and Alpines in the doors when I first installed my Kenwood but much better sound from the Infinitys now. I did have to trim the opening a little to get the Polks to fit in the dash but the Infinitys will fit with no trimming. 6.5s will fit the doors with no problems.
Infinity sounds great, too. I'm running JBL & Infinity amps in the other setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my experience dash speakers can require a little creativity to mount just right. I have a few brackets and small, thin metal plates left over from various speakers or lights, that's helped me out before. I thought the Polk DB462's were fine but went out and checked through my cracked speaker grilles. They are only 2x4" unless some dashes are different than I'm thinking. Mine is a 3-door 2nd gen also.

Just about all my audio systems have been budget limited one way or the other. If you can wait for deals or discontinuations sometimes that will land you pretty nice equipment within your price range. Sounds like you've done that already, so good! I like Polks. DB 652's are what I used in my other vehicle, and they sounded GREAT even before I added a sub. Lots of clean bass response. I don't know if the Alpine amp will be enough power for the 522's. Could be fine.

Infinity sounds great, too. I'm running JBL & Infinity amps in the other setup.
Ryan, hi.....I saw your note via Twitter, thank you for responding, on both fronts. Yes, I've def have searched high and low to find the best prices. I did buy my Polk door speakers from Crutchfield, but other than that, I've simply relied on their site as a source of info. I did call them earlier today, to double check re my choice of Polk, and whether the the Polks I'd be getting for the dash would jive properly with the door speakers and system. I'm eager to go ahead and get it all installed. I had offers from two different folks to install it for free, but I'm sticking with my chose repair shop, because they've done stereo installs before....and are well set up, re doing problem-free installs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts