S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 S10 blazer 262 w code. My fuel pump crapped out over the weekend and i'm wondering if I could skip dropping the fuel tank to replace my pump or if I could put an electric inline pump. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. My brother did the inline pump and suggested I try it. Got a question. When I turn the key on I don't hear the 2 second prime from the pump. If you don't hear the prime the pumps not working correct?? What about the ignition control module. Want cover all the bases before dropping the tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One thing you can try is turn the key to the run position and rap on the tank with a rubber mallet. This will *sometimes* jar the pump back to life but it will be inoperative again after you turn the engine off again.

I would check the all related fuses and the fuel pump relay as well. The relay is in the glove box and you should also hear it "click" a couple of seconds after you turn the key to the run position. There are other relays in the relay box that are of the same part number so just swap one of those out with the FP relay as check.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing you can try is turn the key to the run position and rap on the tank with a rubber mallet. This will *sometimes* jar the pump back to life but it will be inoperative again after you turn the engine off again.

I would check the all related fuses and the fuel pump relay as well. The relay is in the glove box and you should also hear it "click" a couple of seconds after you turn the key to the run position. There are other relays in the relay box that are of the same part number so just swap one of those out with the FP relay as check.
Thanks for the info. I'll give them all a try. I've already checked the fuse in the fuse block fuse was still good. Inline fuse somewhere? Thanks again i'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll give them all a try. I've already checked the fuse in the fuse block fuse was still good. Inline fuse somewhere? Thanks again i'll keep you posted.
Not that I'm aware of...

Check that relay though. Open the glove box, empty it out, and you'll see that access panel. The owners manual (I think) details what relays are what. Also, I think there is a diagram inside the cover.

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
even if you install an external pump, it would still be best, or even required to either drop the tank, or remove the bed, to take the original pump out, and fabricate an extension tube to go in its place, to ensure the original pump wasnt a rsetriction to fuel flow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is whats going on. The fuel pump relay is on the firewall under the hood. There are actually two like relays side by side. I was able to hold one while I turned the ignition. I felt a click so thats telling me that the relay is working. The other relay next to it I felt no click so either it has nothing to do with my problem or its not working. As I was trying to turn it over I did notice the oil pressure riseing. I haven't yet put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve but when I push it in gas only dribbles out. Still don't hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key. This is where i'm at. I think i'll be dropping the tank if I can't come up with some other reasons.

·
Black 95 SS
48 Posts
Did you check the grounds? there is one coming straight from the pump to the frame right near the tank and there is also a ground where the tailights connect on the rear driver side of the truck.

I would take them off clean the bolt with a wire brush and rub the bolt locations down with some sand paper to ensure metal on metal contact just so you can negate this from the list of probabilities as well.

·
low and slow
177 Posts
even if you install an external pump, it would still be best, or even required to either drop the tank, or remove the bed, to take the original pump out, and fabricate an extension tube to go in its place, to ensure the original pump wasnt a rsetriction to fuel flow.
:stupid: that is what i did after my third in tank pump died and use an external now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you check the grounds? there is one coming straight from the pump to the frame right near the tank and there is also a ground where the tailights connect on the rear driver side of the truck.

I would take them off clean the bolt with a wire brush and rub the bolt locations down with some sand paper to ensure metal on metal contact just so you can negate this from the list of probabilities as well.
I'm all set. I checked the grounds and I replaced the fuel pump relay on the firewall. Still nothing so I ended up dropping the tank. Took about 5 hours and it sucked. Only cost me about $100 so I guess the skinned knuckles and gas in the eye and my buddy dropping the jack on my head was worth it. :haha: Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey I almost forgot to tell you guy's; my 4 wheel High is now working:rock: Low has always worked but high quit on me last winter. Don't know what we did to get that to work. sweet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts