S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting from fuel injection to the Holley 390.

This is going on a V6. Yeah, I know this is a V8 string, but who better to ask about a carb?

I need some instruction on how to do the initial setup on a Holley to get the engine to fire.

Assume the engine is timed, and you have the Holley blue fuel pump, what is the setting for your:

1. Electric choke
2. Your jet adjust screws

Any good Holley tuners on the thread?

·
Registered
321 Posts
1)Set the float level before you start the truck.Run the pump while the engine is off(Just below or trickling out of the site plug hole)This will keep you from soaking a running engine w/fuel.
2)Make sure the choke opens fully when the engine is warm,I don't use the chokes,FLA..If you can lock it open for your test fire it might be easier.
3)Jet adjust screws?I believe your refering to the idle air screws on the side of the metering block.Turn these in until they bottom out,Just touch bottom,the back them out 1 1/4 turns.
4)Your blue pump should have a regulator.Set it around 7 psi.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Randy,

Running the pump with the engine off I can do, but is the site plug hole on the fuel pump? I don't have the Holley blue in my hands yet to see.

I'm not familiar with setting the float level on the Holley carb. Can you give me any help on that one? In the old days we used to take the top off and bend the little arm holding the float. I expect that has changed.

The air will be cold when I first fire the engine, so locking the choke closed might be the route for me.

You're right, it is the idle air screws, and thanks for that correction. 1 1/4 turns it is.

One guy I know has his regulator set to 6.5 although 7 is closer I think.

I'm in Ontario, Canada

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm sorry,I was refering to the site plugs on the carb bowls.The level should be close from the factory.

You'll see a 5/8 nut w/a locking screw on the top of the bowl.To adjust the float level crack the screw loose turn the nut ( up raises the fuel level,down will lower it).
If your buying the carb and pump new they should have some basic set up info.

Stock Holley needle and seats can easily handle 8+psi.Your fuel requirements should be ok at 7.

Almost forgot,the 1 1/4 turns adjustment on the air idle screws is just a starting point.Use a vacuum guage(best way)or the tach,and turn them, in or out(try to keep them even)until you get the highest reading.If you use a vacuum guage connect it to a port below the butterflies,one of the lower front ones(some have one some have two).The port on the passenger side up high on the metering block is ported vacuum(reads the air going into carb).This is where you would connect vacuum for the distributor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Randy,

Fortunately I kept my tuneup kit from the '70's so I have the vacuum guages, timing light, etc..

I always used to rely on my ear to get the final tune, but I sure like the vacuum guage way. Much more exact I would think.

I'm thinking about braided lines from the pump to the carb. Is it worth the extra for performance and security? I'm thinking they'd look real good but I'm on a budget, so looking good has to go with some rationale for the missus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts