S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my list of mods so far are below and I am still not pullin on a 01 v6 camaro what else should i do? how much difference would 1.5 roller rockers make? any more suggestions i am also goin with NOS in the future so anything that will work along side that is good too

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Have you thought about running 3.73 gears. They give good mid range power for street driving or if you want 1/4 mile time go with 4.10's.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i gettin 373s with a zexel posi forgot to post that with last message sorry, my takeoff is killin me first off i leave a 9 foot long black mark cause no posi AND 308s dont help acceleration at all:(

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
With the 3.73 gears you should run a v6 camaro. The camaro runs taller gears for more top end. Is the camaro stock?

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he got 3.42s a K&N and a few other small things he wont mention but nuthin serious no exhaust or anything

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
SLP has 1.6 (I think) roller rockers and with their Air intake and Dual exhaust are posting an extra 30hp to the wheels as with just the intake and exhaust are runnin 15 extra hp. So I guess they're good for at least 15 extra.:thumbup:

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will have to drill the block for 1.6's wont i?

·
Registered
132 Posts
No you don't touch the BLOCK.

But you will have to replace your rocker arm studs, you should machine for standard 3/8" studs if you don't wanna spend $140 for Crane 10mm to 3/8" conversion studs. You also machine the valve guide tops for more clearance between valve guide seals and retainers. You also need to machine pushrod holes for more clearance since the 1.6 moves the pushrod contact point on the rockers toward the fulcurm and stud. You need to check valvetrain geometry to see if you will also need to get different length pushrods. It is much easier to go with 1.52 rollers. Contact Machperformance for all the goodies and info.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how much of a difference will i see with the 15s?

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
dude you want torque? run 4.56's thats what im doin

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hah yea but i wont be able to get traction OR go over 90 lol:bash:

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
could always go with an awd drivetrain lotta work

smoking all 4 wheels ...............priceless

B

·
0 Posts
its worth a shot but i heard after every modification you do to your truck your supposed to reset your computer. disconnect your battery for a half hour then reconnect it and see what happens. if you try it keep me posted on whether it worked or not

·
Registered
17 Posts
I"m guessing since you have 3.08 rear end you have a 5 speed truck. i think that is your biggest problem. i only went to 3.42 same as the cameros and i have a 5 speed and i still have a little problem on take off but( since i'm still one legged) but from a 20 mph rolling start i really don't have a problem. With your mods you should be a little faster then me so my 2 cents would be just to with a 3.42 or 3.73 and get posi and then forget about v6 cameros and stangs, go after GTs

My truck
95 S-10 ext cab 4.3 TBI 5 speed
Custom TBI spacer, injector spacer, K&N open element 10 round air cleaner, MSD 6a ignition, MSD Blaster 2 coil, Jacob electronics wires, adjustable FPR, Hurst competion plus shifter,3.42 rearend,not cat, flowmaster 2 chamber muffler turned down before rear axle, and a heavy right foot:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If he's got a 5-speed then it's not wise to change the gearing at all, it's not worth it. The NV-3500's trannies were made for towing and hauling. The 1st and 2nd geras are as you say too tall, 3 rd anf 4th are too short. Where he would gain with gears which is 3rd and 4th and 4th being the one you'll never get in racing, he'll lose big time in 1st and 2nd. These trannies have to much stagger( A wide ratio tranny with 2 short patterns) in gearing. Take a look at your speeds for anyone running a 5-speed also tach readings. 1st gear's max speed at max rpm's is around 30, 2nd 55, 3rd to 100, forget 4th for now. If you gear it those speeds drop and 4th will now almost become manditory in a 1/4 to get into, and another shift you'll lose time by having to shift. Face it we got stuck with a trailering tranny, changing the tranny would gain alot more and allow you to take advantage of rearend gears. Gears alone on these at best would gain no more than 1-2 ths. Now a tranny that started with a 1st gear in the 2.60 -2.85 range and a ratio that was even in drops, that would be nice. A T-56 has this and so do Doug Nash 5-speeds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i really haven't that much trouble with mine
when i changed rear ends it was alot different but it was a improvement in the lower end depart ment and i still can run third all the way up to 100
But you are right about that first gear it tops out really quick so i don't hold it to the max only to about 20 or 25 then hit second and thats where my truck pulls the hardest

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i have a auto with 308 one leggers and i know its the rear killin alot of my trucks performance i plan on going 373s with a zexel posi unit just as soon as i get the 300

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nope there r a few very unfortunate people with autos that get 308 i have done been in this argument b4 i have the 308 code and no other gear code in the glovebox although now in the new s10s i think ur right i think 342 is base cuz 308 doesnt even show up on the chevy.com s10 build sheet

1 - 20 of 29 Posts