S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I doubt everything.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it out everyone. STS Just posted (like in the last hour) some more info on thier turbo kit!

Non-intercooled 50-75HP

Intercooled 100+ HP

Will be offered both ways with blow off valve

estimated price about $3500-$4500

Was just checking the site for updates again (2nd time today) and found this!!! WOOHOOO I can't wait now!!!!

Here see for yourself help is on the way!!

STS Turbo page

(scroll all the way to the bottom!!!!)

·
Med School member
179 Posts
Same here.....screw that for 4 grand.....Cale (4bangin) is dropping a 4.3 in for less than that...and his will be majorly modded out

·
I doubt everything.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno...

Even at $3500-$4500 that is still less than I have been quoted for a custom turbo setup here in town (one place was at $3700), and an LS1 swap isout of my league becuase I can't have the truck out of comission for more than a weekend. so the turdo setup is pretty ideal for me. Plus it ouwld be cool to have a 4 banger that out runs v-6's

·
I doubt everything.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well

I was quoted at $5000 for engine transmission rear end and intalation. so even at $4000 the turbo still sounds like a better option to me.

Of course I am also looking at this from an Auto-X standpoint. The urbo would add far less weight to the truck and the LS! would not only add alot of weight but put that weight in the wrong areas fro Auto-X. So I am gonna keep my sights onteh turbo and see hwat develops.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Re: well

2kwik4u said:
I was quoted at $5000 for engine transmission rear end and intalation. so even at $4000 the turbo still sounds like a better option to me.

Of course I am also looking at this from an Auto-X standpoint. The urbo would add far less weight to the truck and the LS! would not only add alot of weight but put that weight in the wrong areas fro Auto-X. So I am gonna keep my sights onteh turbo and see hwat develops.

Since you have so much money on your hands why do you throw some my way.

·
I doubt everything.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please...

Don't get me wrong I still think that $4,000 is whole lot of ***in money!!! I mean dam I just bought a 1980 Mazda RX-7 for $200 cash and am now using it as a comuter car. The dam thing is older than I am and is still faster than my truck. SO spending $4,000 on an improvement to a car is alot of ***in money (I think I said that already). But as far as if I am going to spend that much money. I had better start saving right now and then maybe in 6 month I could afford to get it. but then again I have a real hard time saving money (as evienced by my new to me RX-7).
So it is very liekly it will take me twleve months of saving to get he $4,000 to get the turbo kit.

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
$5000 for a swap? what motor? Obviously not an LS1...thats 6 for the motor alone.

I agree with mike about the turbo...yeah, its a decent chunk of money, but the install much easier, less down time, less added weight, you have a "uniqueness" factor and you keep most of the economy of the 4cyl.

I swapped a 6 out for an 8 in my firebird....and it was (and still is) one headache after the other. All these bugs to track down, finding out (accidently most times:bash: )what parts won't work with the new engine, constant trips to the parts shop for little things you overlooked, etc, etc, etc.....its been a 3 year project for me:bah:

·
Registered
138 Posts
jay said he is going to keep the non intercool turbo under 3000.00
why put a LS1 in hell the other day I ran one he could not leave me and I could not leave him but I am running a 150 shot of nos to:evilg:

·
Registered
24 Posts
i dont see the necessity of a turbo when down here you can get a 4.3L for 7 or 800 dollars (used) and use almost all of the stock stuff (rear end, maybe tranny). Doing all of the labor on a swap may take 3 to 7 days if you know what your doing. I admit its sweet, but hell, Ill take running 12s in a 6 over running 13s or 14s in a 4 for twice the money, that turbo puts hella stress on the motor when boosting. But then again, thats my 2 cents/ opinion.

·
Med School member
179 Posts
I agree...I'm really lookin into a 4.3 swap

·
Still plays with sparks
457 Posts
Guys, a 4.3 swap is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAd Idea! the reason being that there is nothing avalable in the aftermarket. One of my buddys did one in a first gen and it was hard as hell! and that was a older 4.3 (very little computer crap) in a first gen!Motor is like 7, 800 bucks sure. but think of evrything else you will need!!!! The only way a 4.3 swap is cheap is if you buy a whole parts truck and gut it! And even then its not cheap. You can get way mor bang for your buck if you look into a V8 swap. The one thing that evryone here has forgot about is that you can still put an old fire breating carburated beast in our trucks. That is the cheapest swap you will ever find! The easiest motor to mod too, I might add

·
Med School member
179 Posts
Have a friend who gutted a S-10 with a 4.3 got the tranny also. Puttin into his 2.2, bought the whole thing for 800

But I see your point. Problem is, if your not a really good motor head, then there needs to be something easy to do. Whats the easiest swap that would require the least amount of fabrication

·
Registered
24 Posts
i still dont see the problem with swapping in a 4.3L. Theres a 4.3L guy down here running 12.59 on a hundred shot and hes got the videos to prove it. I also wouldnt mind doing the carburated thing, but im a little weary on what it would do to my tranny, drive line and rear end. With a 4.3L you can retain almost all 2.2L parts ia all im saying. And if you spend 700 to a 1000 dollars on a used 6, it doesnt matter becausea your gonna build the thing up again right??? I dunno though. I love the 4, and its gonna be hard to get rid of it. I just wanna do a swap that will loet me drive it everyday.

·
Still plays with sparks
457 Posts
Like I said, a parts truk is the way to go! But Its not like you can just take out the 2.2 put in a 4.3 and just plug evrything back in!!! You will need evrything that a V8 swap would need. Ther is alot of crap involved. If it was that easy, evryone would have a 4.3! All I am tring to say is that aftermarket is always much cheaper than a dealer, and sometimes even the junk yard. IMOP you shouldent do a swap like that untill you have enough $$$ to plan for all the problems that might come up and to have some cash left over! I have the attitude that If I am going to do it, I am going to do it once and do it right! That is why I will wait as long as it takes to get an LS1 swap. Dont you hear all those 4.3 guys always wishing for more power? thats the way you will be too after about a year of having it. my advise: Get a 8 swap from a reputable aftermarket co. and leave those 4.3's in the dust!

·
Med School member
179 Posts
very well said. You have me convinced

·
I doubt everything.
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ConnecticutX said:
The one thing that evryone here has forgot about is that you can still put an old fire breating carburated beast in our trucks.
This is not always the case. Here in Jefferson county KY where I live we have Vehicle Emissions Testing which involves a visual inspection. You cannot have an engine older than the year the truck was made swapped in. So that leave me with now option but a new 5.3 (cheapest) to an LS1 (way expensive). Now I have read throught the visual inspection and there are no laws on adding super/turbo charging (froced induction), as long as the vehicle still passes the sniffer test.

Now with that said an engine swap is still a very big job. You said yourself 3 to 7 days and that is if you know what you are doing. Why not buy a kit tht will add 100+ HP and have it done in a weekend, so as not to have to impose on firends/family for rides while the truck is under construction. Now an engine swap is way cool it is only for the truly devoted induvidual, and htat is not me. Granted I love turning a wrench just as much as any of you I am not ready for the "tinkeritis" that is so commonly attached to swaps.

But as always this is just my view/stance on things, your can and should be totally different

1 - 20 of 27 Posts