S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Our Milk Comes In Bags
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And i was wondering if this would be a good welder to learn on..
70 AMP ARC WELDER
• 120V, 20A input
• 70A @ 15% duty cycle
• Automatic thermal shut-down protection
• Variable heat settings
• Uses 1/16" or 5/64" welding rods and welds from 18-gauge to 1/8" steel

would it be suitable for body work?

Thanks

·
lame-o
792 Posts
In a word, "NO"
SMAW (stick) welding is very difficult to weld sheet metal with. Even if you can weld 18 gauge with it, try welding 20 or 22 gauge which is what your S10 dhrrt metal is made of!

You would be better off buying a small MIG welder. I always suggest purchasing a name brand machine and the largest you can afford! Sooner or later you may want to bag your truck and the temptation will be there to use your cheap inattiquit welder. Try and resist purchasing the cheapest welder you find and do some research, save your pennies and buy something decent.

t

·
Our Milk Comes In Bags
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So this is more what your thinking?

Mastercraft Mig Welder

• 70 A wire-feed welder
  • Infinite wire speed control
  • High-efficiency transformer
  • Includes wire-feed welder, gas regulator, gas hose, two hose clamps, welding shield, one spool of flux-core wire, hammer/brush, quick-start guide and instruction manual
  • Uses MIG (gas) or flux-core (gasless) wires
  • Heat selection dial with four settings

·
Registered
115 Posts
i can weld 3/16" with a 115, but it has to be pretty much at full strength, but it works. try something like a 120 or 150 amp welder. (millermatic 180 is a good choice) just remember, you get what you pay for. it's better to save up for a really nice machine that can do a lot, than a cheaper machine that doesn't have a lot of potential to do thicker materials.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts