if you see my sig below, youll notice i have a few vw's
up till now, thats all ive done and known
well, i decided it was time for a new project
i want to lower the truck
and after browsing this board for a few days heres what ive concluded
i need drop spindles in the front and blocks in the back
i want a 4/4 drop, but im not sure that i can get spindles that go 4
also, i have another concern
i dont want to remove the rear bumpstop bracket, as i fear it will void my warranty
so, that being said, how low can i go without removing that bracket?
i want a pretty comfortable ride, and plan to put some 17 or 18" wheels on it real soon
any help at all would be greatly appreciated
thanx in advance:headbang:

·
2 Da Xtreme
360 Posts
Welcome to the board..............!
:thumbup: on the 02 S-10......!
Just bout the best person to talk to about Lowering here is
Tony.... Aka 98 SS on Nos

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
First of all, hi and welcome to the forum!

As to your question, no spindles are only a 2" drop. If you want to do 4/4 you would also need 2" drop coils in the front(if you have zq8 suspension then this will be different). For the back you could go with 3" drop leafs and 1" drop blocks.

As far as the bumpstop brackets go...I've got 3 inch blocks in the back and I rarely bottom out. Now that said, if you want the truck to look even, you'll probably want to lower it more in the back than in the front, like say a 4/5. You would definitely need to cut off the bumpstops in the back if you did this, but it looks pretty badass. I understand about the warranty thing, and I guess you could go for a 3/4 instead, but it's all up to you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
00 Blk-Xtreme said:
Welcome to the board..............!
:thumbup: on the 02 S-10......!
Just bout the best person to talk to about Lowering here is
Tony.... Aka 98 SS on Nos
Yeah, no one else is qualified. :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zYgoTe said:
First of all, hi and welcome to the forum!

As to your question, no spindles are only a 2" drop. If you want to do 4/4 you would also need 2" drop coils in the front(if you have zq8 suspension then this will be different). For the back you could go with 3" drop leafs and 1" drop blocks.

As far as the bumpstop brackets go...I've got 3 inch blocks in the back and I rarely bottom out. Now that said, if you want the truck to look even, you'll probably want to lower it more in the back than in the front, like say a 4/5. You would definitely need to cut off the bumpstops in the back if you did this, but it looks pretty badass. I understand about the warranty thing, and I guess you could go for a 3/4 instead, but it's all up to you. :thumbup:
thanx for the info
i was thinkin a 4/4 would be perfect
i measured from the top of the stock tires, to the wells in front and rear, and there all even
4.5" all the way around
and, no i dont have the zq8
if i would have pulled my head from my ass when buying the truck, i would have gotten that option
so, can i do 4/4 without removing the brackets?
or should i go 3/3?

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
VW-S10 said:

thanx for the info
i was thinkin a 4/4 would be perfect
i measured from the top of the stock tires, to the wells in front and rear, and there all even
4.5" all the way around
and, no i dont have the zq8
if i would have pulled my head from my ass when buying the truck, i would have gotten that option
so, can i do 4/4 without removing the brackets?
or should i go 3/3?
Really? Mine sat up in the back like a mofo! :D
I think it'd be ok for you to get by without cutting the brackets off with a 4" drop in the back, but be careful hitting bumps, and it'll probably ride a little rougher. But like I said, I've got a 3" inch drop in the back and it rides fine, unless I hit a huge hole. :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for the help thusfar,anyone else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
actually mine is a royal pain in the butt in the back. went 2/3 like everyone said to do, and yes it DID measure higher by one inch in the back. but guess what after going 2/3 it was lower in the back than in the front. so i went to 2 inch blocks in the back, well, guess what it might be even now but it sure doesn't look it....

i think these things look ass down even stock, although the measurement says other wise, that being said go with 2 inch spindles and 2 inch coils and only go with 2 inch blocks in the back. if it still doesn't look right i got 3 inch blocks ya can have cheap...

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
as far is lowering the back goes if your going to "hook up" your truck your probably gonna want to go lower in the back e.g. 4/5 because when (if) you put a rollpan on it, it will raise up a lil...i'm on a 2/3 drop and the back sits like 1/2 higher then the front w/ a roll pan....and i have a flush mount bed cover that weight aprox 72 lbs....of course its your truck and you can see it and measure it so if your positive it sits even then go with a even drop...even if you do get a rollpan the slight rake look, looks good imo

·
Registered
249 Posts
ive been thinking the same thing.

For the past couple months now ive been looking into lowering setups. Ive got a 99 s10 and it has no zq8 package. Ive decided to go with beltechs 4-4 setup, this way if it comes out being lower in the back i can just remove the 1-inch block and hopefully solve the problem. Like they said though it also depends on if you have a tonneau cover or rollpan. my last truck sat low in the back after i lowered it but once i sold the tonneau cover it was perfect. Ive also came to the conclusion that no matter how close the s10s are they never seem to lower the same as the last(except zq8s). Let me know how it turns out. Ill be ordering my drop in a few weeks, as soon as schools over with, d**n homeworks killing me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've found that std. s10 rear springs tend to vary. What I do is to lower the front w/springs and spindles (Western and Eibach) and then set a floorjack under the rear frame. Then, loosen the bolts on the rear springs and, with the tires on the floor, lower the floorjack until she looks good! Then simply go buy that height block kit. Works for me. Just my .02.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts