S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to do the manual transmission swap in my truck. It's a '98 Chevrolet Blazer, 4 door, 4.3, 4L60E, pushbutton 4x4. I really want a manual transmission, and it's come to I either sell the truck and buy something else, or I swap one in. Since I'm going to have a pretty hard time trying to sell mine for what it's worth to me, I'm pretty much stuck with doing a swap. So... that leaves alot of questions. Not finding anyone who has done such a swap before, I'll need as much other help as I can get. First of all, what transmission would have come in a '98 S10 with a manual? I understand the two manual transmissions used during the years were the T-5 and the NV3500. Now, which would be better, which was used that year, and is the T-5 the exact same as the one in the older camaros? Bellhousing, tailshaft, everything? And is the transmission/crossmember/pedal assembly/master cylinder/slave cylinder the same in 1st gens as in 2nd gens? It would be alot easier to just get a crashed older generation with a manual and toss that stuff in, though I'd still need to find a late-model computer and probably transmission crossmember. Speaking of which, does anyone know the wiring harness differences between the manual and autos? I know the auto is computer controlled, so obviously I'll need to do some work with that. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, but for now I need to at least know the basics of what I'm getting into. That's what I can think of for now, any other suggestions would be welcome. This will probably be a project for next summer, so I'll try to pick up the parts for it this winter as the money comes in for it.

Thanks again

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
best i can do you u, is the 98 manuals are nv3500. i belive you would best off finding a 4x4 with manual. don't think the reg nv3500 out of a 2wd is going to allow u to bolt up the t-case to it.as far as the comp find another 98 4x4 manual and get the vin# dealer should be able to flash your comp for the trans no problem.
hope that helps some.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobel_One said:
Tough questions. I would do a search here and on google. See if you can dig up any information on other forums. I wish I could help! Good luck.
Done that... hard to find much info. I've posted on at least three separate forums, these are the first answers I've gotten. Seems to be a pretty rare swap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twin-10s said:
best i can do you u, is the 98 manuals are nv3500. i belive you would best off finding a 4x4 with manual. don't think the reg nv3500 out of a 2wd is going to allow u to bolt up the t-case to it.as far as the comp find another 98 4x4 manual and get the vin# dealer should be able to flash your comp for the trans no problem.
hope that helps some.
That helps, I'll keep on the lookout for the NV3500 for my truck then. Any idea if it's a better transmission then the T-5? Or is it just cheaper for Chevy to put those in that year then the T-5? I'd agree, I don't think the 2wd one would work, so I'm stuck finding a 4wd one. I'll have to talk to my uncle, who is a local dealer, and see what he can do about the flash. That seems to be the best way to go about it, for that aspect of it at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts