S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all goes as planned, tomarrow.. I will place my bid on an LS1 + T56 transmission, if the price stays below my pre-determined limit.. I will drive and pick it up, and will store it untill the summer..

Now before I go through with this, does anyone object for any reason what so ever..

Here is my situation ..

I want a fuel injected v8, that has lots of power, and gets good gas milage.. (LS1 is better than my 4.3l).. no really who cares.. I just want lots of power..

I want to be able to do most of the swap myself.. (besides the custom exhaust)
I can weld..
I can use tools.. (although I do lack a hefty tool department)

I hate wiring.. so I plan to buy a painless conversion wiring kit.

I've read on another thread, that there is a stand alone computer they used..

When you use the Painless wiring kit, do you use the stock 4.3l computer, or the LS1 computer?

So you're looking at another 500$ for the wiring harness, and then who knows how much for the computer..

Now on to the fabrication end of it..

How hard is it to modify a 4.3l Automatic tranny crossmember, to a T56 manual crossmember.. if its even possible..
And how to swap a clutch petal assembly into an automatic..?

And what needs to be done to the driveshaft?

How much notching is required for the A/C, and alternator?
And for the oil pan.. you notch the front crossmember for that..?

I've had my heart set on the LS1 swap.. and here it is.. Do you think its possible for me to do this swap.. I love to work on my truck.. or is this really difficult for someone whos never done the swap before..

Would I be 100% better off with an Iron LT1 engine..

(I dislike the LT1, because its iron)

Please.. spill your guts out to me..

·
weatherman
2,159 Posts
i'm 19 with decent welding skills and basic tools. i'm in the middle of the swap right now. you can do it. one piece of advice i have. if you don't like wiring, don't pay 500 bucks for the painless kit. get one thats just plug in and you're done. get one from jared @ current performance wiring or a place like that. why pay 500 plus the computer and still have to wire it.

you'll have to notch for the ac compressor and the crossmember for the oil pan. you'll see how much when you get everything in there. you'll need manifolds from a 98-99 fbody. you'll also need the corvette accessories. its a lot of work. make sure you study it before you get everything.

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much is the complete wiring harness from current wiring?

And what accessories from the vette motor?

·
weatherman
2,159 Posts
750 for a complete plug in harness. because of the steering box, you cant use the fbody alt. you have to get the corvette alt, ps pump, all the brackets, pressure hose, resivoir, cap, maybe an idler pulley (i think they interchange). if you want to keep the ac compressor where it is, you can shim out the alt and ps pump bracket. this will allow you to use the fbody balancer. otherwise, you'll need the corvette balancer and ac bracket.

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ohh no..

5 people bid on the LS1 overnight.. Looks like I'll be waiting some more.. :sad:
--

Edit.. Well accually, the same guy bid on it 5 times.. WTF is this guy trying to do..

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
stand alone harness is the way to go i got a 100% plug and play one from www.speedscenewireing.com i got the pcm reprogramed fan relays ac relays all wired in for $ 1300 if money is an issue and you want the swap easy as pie do a corvette lt1 drops right in and then plug and play harness and your done . the harness is cool i went from no wireing to starting the truck in 30 min

·
Driver of the Short Bus!
507 Posts
For the clutch pedals, You can install the stock pedal brackets from an s-10. Granted, you need to remove your dash to get to the bracket, But it works pretty good.

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You paid 1300 for the whole wiring harness, and stand alone PCM, with custom programming?

That seems like a good price.. because after I get the 4.3l and v6 4l60E out, I'll be selling them..

All depends on how cheap you can get the LS1 and transmission for huh..

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who?

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
lee's high tech trucks but if you order from them dont plan on getting your part anytime soon from speed scene you will have it in about 2 weeks

·
weatherman
2,159 Posts
jared is actually his own company, current performance wiring. the turnaround time depends on how much he has going. the best way to find out is to just give him a call. took 3 weeks to get mine made.

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OHH.. ofcourse..

Im in no hurry..

Im just trying to get a hold of an Engine & Trans while they're cheap in the winter..

I dont plan on the swap untill maybe March.. who knows..

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While Im waiting..

What mods do I need to do to the radiator..

Will it fit with stock location, and just electric fans?

What type of electric fans did you go with?

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
4.3 raid with flex a lite 210 's as pullers thats the only way to go

·
Wyotech = October
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for quick response.. Ill look into that..

Does it bolt right up to the radiator, or do you use zip ties?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts