S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'm soo high right now
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally talked to my bro in law that was in the service an he said I can have his 2 10s in a truck box. One was blown so he said he is going to return them cuz they have a warranty still. He sais they are Rockfard Fosgates I forgot the model right now. Anyways He had them in his re cab ranger so do you think the box will fit in my red cab first gen. Hes not coming up for another couple of weeks though so I wont have them untill then. I am also going to need an amp and would like to find a good deal on the internet for one. With out the Sub model can you still recommend an amp or will I need a model first. thanks

·
Teh S10Forum Hawk
14,000 Posts
check local ads in your sunday paper.. circuitcity bestbuy and local audio stores..... you can easily get one for $150

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Dont buy car audio at any stores like circuit city, best buy or high end car audio places cause they will charge you retail or near retail, even on sale. Check online, alot of online stores offer 1 year warrenties and stuff on their products, even some like etronics.com will let you buy extended warrenties like best buy or the like has for so many years. Dont buy from crutchfield though, they are just as expensive as most stores and you wont save a dime ordering from them.

·
I'm soo high right now
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok he said they where Rockfard fosgates Punch AT's. Does that sound right.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
as long as that box that was in the ranger is a generic truck box, rangers have even less space behind there seats so you should not have any problems.
now if it was one of those Q form boxes molded to fit a ranger, that might be a little more tricky.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
hOtSaUcE said:
Ok he said they where Rockfard fosgates Punch AT's. Does that sound right.
I searched high and low and haven't found any Rockford sub called the AT, even WinISD's data base doesn't have anything close to that. All Terrain speakers, sheesh :D .

Regardless of model, find out what impedence they are, 4ohm, 8ohm, 4ohm DVC, etc. That's one of the biggest deciding factors in picking an amp out for them. Power handling is also important, although if you go with too large an amp it's no big deal. Avoid cranking it till distortion and the subs will live forever (unless the sun eats the surrounds or something like that).

Anyway, the amp I have is an older Rockford DSM 200ix. Very top of the line back in the day. It's rated as:
100 x 2 @ 4 ohm
200 x 2 @ 2 ohm
400 x 1 @ 4 ohm

After searching around I found most actually benched high 500's to low 600's. The guy I got it off claimed the birthsheet (that he doesn't have anymore) was 744 rms. I don't actually believe that, but they are underrated.

It's missing the end caps, but I found them at www.4caraudiodeals.com for $15 a pair. The guy I bought it off has them, but kinda isn't living with his wife anymore right now and doesn't want to do a full house search to find some stupid caps.

This amp goes from about $90-$130ish on Ebay, I'd like to get $100 (and you don't have to pay shipping!).
This is a pic of my actual amp, it's sitting on my desk now..
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/260000-260999/260326_155_full.jpg

Sorry for making this an ad here, but I figure you may be interested and it's a pretty good deal (I need money!!!! The Toyota needs a timing chain!!!).

·
I'm soo high right now
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do the end caps actually do? I will ask him tonight if he knows the ohms for them but I dought it seeing he hasnt used them in a while. You said you are coming this weekend through MQT.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Now HE's I have heard of.

And about the box fitting, I would imagine it should. I've helped a few people with Ranger boxes, and they do have less room than us (hard to believe).

The endcaps cover the wires and make the amp look pretty. There is no real function for them. With the caps it looks like this

I'm going downstate this weekend so Friday night (probably around 8pm) or so I'll be coming through Marquette. Sunday I'll be coming back, usually come through there around 4-5 pm.

·
I'm soo high right now
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool well I'll find out and let you know what sub they are for sure. But if you know could you explain or someone explain what you wrote up a couple posts like (100 x 2 @ 4 ohm) I have no idea what any of that means. And how will I know if your amp will work. later

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
The amp will work, but it may not be the best one for your need depending upon the subs.

For instance, say the subs are 4 ohm's each and handle 300 rms. The wiring options then are limited to one sub per channel (4 ohm stereo). This would mean the amp is running 100 watts rms to each sub, not enough to get the full potential from them.

If the subs are 8 ohms each, or dual voice coil models, then the amp cran be ran in 4 ohm mono mode, where it puts out a rated 400rms (even though actual output is probably around 600 rms). This would give each sub much more power than in the above situation.

·
I'm soo high right now
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adam, Well I guess he doesnt know what they are off hand but if when I know or get them I will check back and see if you still have it. I will be going up to Houghton off and on untill Nov 15 to start feeding the deer, so I could pick it up if it ends up being the right amp.

·
I'm soo high right now
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright well if I need I'll see if ya got it still, but how will I know if it will work with the subs?

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
It will be best if they are 8 ohm subs, or 4 ohm dual voice coil subs.

If they are 4 ohm then they can't be bridged to this amp, and it's be a waste to buy a ~600 watt capable amp and only run it in 200 watt mode.

Just PM me when you find out what they are, and I'll let you know how well the amp will work with them, if I still have it by then (which I probably will).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts