S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Oops...Dropped it
204 Posts
If you wanna have one of the fastest trucks and have a little extra $$$ then go for a Dakota. But not an R/T. The regular Dak with the 4.7L V8 and a 5-speed is quicker then the R/T from what I hear. If you wanna spend a little less, have a truck that still goes fairly decently, then pick up a 4.3L S-10. There are plenty of mods available for both trucks, and they are both pretty good looking vehicles. OR save up now, cause soon the V10 Viper powered Dodge Ram with 500hp/500torque will be hitting the showroom floors! Oh yeah!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
CARSDIRECT.COM HERE ARE THE PRICES

FULLY LOADED 2002 R/T SINGLE CAB 18,406 PLUS TAX AND LICENSE

SINGLE CAB 4.7 LITER 5 SPEED ALSO FULLY LOADED 16,796 PLUS TAX AND LICENSE

SINGLE CAB S10 4.3 V6 WITH POSI, TILT AND CRUIZE NO POWER WINDOWS, NO AC 5 SPEED 13.351 PLUS TAX AND LICENSE

SINGLE CAB S10 4.3 V6 WITH POSI, TILT, CRUIZE POSI FULLY LOADED WITH AC AND ZQ8 16.213 PLUS TAX AND LICENSE

SINGE CAB S10 4.3 FULLY LOADED EVERYTHING BUT ZQ8 BUT INCLUDES POSI 15.771.

BOTH S10S HAVE THE AUTO TRANNY INCLUDED. MAN FOR 600 BUCKS MORE YOU HAVE THE ZQ8 SET UP ID DO IT

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a friend who just bought the new srt 10 dodge ram its awsome its the fastest truck i have ever bin in but he told me that two days after he bought it he raced this guy he worked with the guy owned a 5.9l r/t supercharged and a few other mods i dont want to get into detail but the guys r/t out ran the srt 10 ram by a couple of car lengths this was at the draggs i dont know what there times were

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Well for someone to come on here and say that the R/T will definitely smoke an s10 you are so wrong it is rediculous. Cause I beat 2 of them at the New England Truck Nationals at NED. I rana 15.5 and he ran a 16.1. They are dogs cause they are so heavy. But looks wise I like the S10 alot better.

I say go with the S10.

·
Xtremely Unique Mod
20,541 Posts
since your asking a bunch of chevy people what do you expect for an answer LOL, I say Xtreme because I own one and I liek it!

·
Xtremely Unique Mod
20,541 Posts
98 SS ON NOS said:
they are about 24000 out the door. for that price you get a v6 s10 single cab for 18000 bucks at most out the door. umm for the 6000 bucks i think ill stay with the s10

24000 out the door where do you shop? I think the dealer in lansing has an 03 brand new X on lot extneded cab and he wants 17 out the door or a little less.

·
Xtremely Unique Mod
20,541 Posts
pet peeve of mine is spelling the XTREME with an E. lol

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Lowsonoma03 said:
If you want speed, get an R/T, if you want to go low and slow, get the Extreme.
You are smoking crack. The R/T is very slow. Not fast in the least. And 98ssonnos said that an s10 runs about 18k. Which he is right. The R/T is $25k and a big waste of money at that.

If you want speed in a truck get a Lightning or an SRT-10.

·
2003 Xtreme
54 Posts
Regarding the power issue...Toyota will be releasing a higher powered S-Runner soon. If I remember right it was about 300 HP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whats wrong with the Firebird? I bought a regular 04 s-10 2 door Blazer and kept my 93 TA. The RT drinks way to much gas, its nice driving the Blazer and having the TA to build up as a weekend street/strip car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey dan p i found out a supercharged r/t would out run a srt-10 ram and i know none of the s10's could do better and be sides the fastest truck in the world is a dodge if u ever watched spike tv theres this show called trucks and another car and driver television i forgot the name of the guy who broke the world record of i think 225 mph in a dakota im just guessing thats the speed it could b faster

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Dan P. said:
You are smoking crack. The R/T is very slow. Not fast in the least. And 98ssonnos said that an s10 runs about 18k. Which he is right. The R/T is $25k and a big waste of money at that.

If you want speed in a truck get a Lightning or an SRT-10.
Oh brother, only on an S10 forum. You call your trucks fast but a 360 is slow :haha: I am calling major BS to whomever said they took their stock Xtreme & beat an R/T. Sure you did! Most R/T's have better times stock than a modded Xtreme. You guys are in la la land. Get the R/T. If you took the same bolt on & threw it on both trucks, they will walk you every time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Alright **** the Dodge....

Dodge's=SHITTY engines sure they are fast but....they will crap out on you so quick. My 95 S-10 (I own a 99 now) with 112k probably is about twice as reliable then a brand new Dodge truck. My dad has worked on trucks since he was 14. He modded up trucks like there was no tommorow.

He wouldn't allow me to get a dodge truck. I asked for one and he said he won't get me one and if I ever buy one he won't help me when the thing dies on me.

Now taking from what he said when I take a two hour tirp from Kansas too missouri about 8 out of 10 vehicles I usually see on the side of the road because of car troubles ends up being a you guessed it a DODGE!

Every machanical thing you can think of for dodge vehicles craps out in like 3-4yrs of owning the vehicle. Now if you buy new vehicles every 2yrs then sure a dodge will be fine for you lol.

Do yourself a favor and get a nice looking S-10 4.3L do a few mods and you will be very happy. That truck will last as long as you want it. Just do regular oil changes and your truck will last and last.

·
raceannouncer
66 Posts
xtremer-pxl said:
R/T=Redneck/Truck!!

and I don't care what anyone says...I spanked R/T's when my X was STOCK....so I call BS on the "depends on how much money you want to spend" statement...I personally can't stand dodge products they have to many problems for me. especially brake problems.:mad: HELL NO to DODGE DAKOTA R/T'S!!! :evilg: :evilg: :bash:

Uh...there ain't no way you SPANKED a Dakota R/T with a STOCK X...that's total BS! :bs:

In the 1/4 mile, a stock X (V6 auto or stick) goes mid 16's. Stock R/T's are low 15's or even high 14's. If you SPANKED that R/T as you claim, then either the driver of the R/T didn't want to race you, didn't know how to drive or you got "Xtremely" lucky! Probably all 3!

Although I own a '96 INDY RAM, I have a lot of fun driving my '02 Xtreme 4.3... but I know better than to try an R/T!

·
SSBaDBoY
528 Posts
raceannouncer said:

In the 1/4 mile, a stock X (V6 auto or stick) goes mid 16's. Stock R/T's are low 15's or even high 14's. If you SPANKED that R/T as you claim, then either the driver of the R/T didn't want to race you, didn't know how to drive or you got "Xtremely" lucky! Probably all 3!

QUOTE]

mid 16? i got a 16.1 out out my ss last time i went tot he track all i got is airbox hack and a flowmaster. i hardly count those as mods, certainly not enough to bring me from a mid 16 to a low 16. i would be into the high 15's most definalty wit new tires because im only stalling up to 1000 unless i want to spin all day off the line, so im not en getting a near good launch. also my friend has a bone stock 4.3 zq8 extended cab, and he got a 16.0 out of his, i dont see what would make a xtreme a half a second slower than a regular zq8, unless someone didnt know how to drive it, a half a second it a long time at the track, bottom line, s10's....xtremes or not....are fully capable of running low 16's

·
raceannouncer
66 Posts
mid 16? i got a 16.1 out out my ss last time i went tot he track all i got is airbox hack and a flowmaster. i hardly count those as mods, certainly not enough to bring me from a mid 16 to a low 16. i would be into the high 15's most definalty wit new tires because im only stalling up to 1000 unless i want to spin all day off the line, so im not en getting a near good launch. also my friend has a bone stock 4.3 zq8 extended cab, and he got a 16.0 out of his, i dont see what would make a xtreme a half a second slower than a regular zq8, unless someone didnt know how to drive it, a half a second it a long time at the track, bottom line, s10's....xtremes or not....are fully capable of running low 16's[/QUOTE]
My response is based on a rough average of vehicles I've seen running at our local track...your results may vary. Ever hear of "good air" at a dragstrip? Low altitude, etc.? There are many variables as you probably know. A low 16 is believable...but even you said it is not stock. Your mods would account for about a tenth, give or take. But I've seen bone stock 4.3's closer to 17 than 16. My X is box stock. I haven't taken it down the track empty yet (nothing in the bed and low fuel tank). I'm also around 240lbs and every 100 is worth roughly a tenth. The best I've gotten out of it is 16.80...again, that was not a full "bonzai" pass and certainly not in the best of conditions.

However, the WHOLE point of the post is there is no way in a side by side 1/4mile pass with both vehicles BONE STOCK and driven to their fullest potential that any dime can beat a Dakota R/T. It's not a slam, it's fact and you just need to deal with it.

Modded out to the max, than anything goes...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts