S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
need to be lower
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions i need cleared up.

Ill have 1/2" fills and 3/8" dumps and 5/8" line and im mounting them by the fender wells up front. I need to know what fittings go in between the valves. Would it be a 1/2" tee with a 5/8" compression for the line to the bags? Or is there a tee that has 1/2 on one side 3/8 on the other with the last side being a 5/8 compression? Also what do i use to connect the valves to the tee, is it called a nipple?

One last thing i think is do i need a fitting to connect the leader hose to the tank and if so what will i need to connect a viar 450 to a 1/2 tank port?

·
Laid Out Daily Dragger
878 Posts
I think your gonna have to run a 1/2" T with a 1/2" to 3/8" Reducer for the Dump and a 1/2" to 5/8" for the Line to the bags.

Atleast thats what it sounds like fromt he way you described it.

For the Compressor your gonna need a 3/8" to 1/2" sizer thinggy(Sorry, forgot the name of these things).

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
IMO, get a 3/8" tee, and some reducing nipples that go from 3/8" to 1/2" for the fill valves. 1/2" tee's cost a lot more than 3/8" tee's, and YOU WON'T slow down the system at all by doing that, and you'll save some money.

1/2" reducing nipple to 3/8" - 3/8" tee - 3/8" x 5/8" line fitting

then on the bottom of the tee, the 3/8" nipple for the dump valve.

for the compressor, you will need a 1/2" x 1/4" bushing reducer.

·
need to be lower
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright got another one

For my 1/2" 2b6 bags what fitting will i need for the 5/8" line? Would it be 1/2"npt to 5/8 compression?
Is there a certain direction to put teflon tape on and if so which way?

Just need these last few questions answered before i buy fittings tommorow since its quite a drive to the nearest parker store and i dont want to forget any or get any wrong.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
yes.. that would be the correct fitting...

The best way to put the tape on....
Hold the fitting in your right hand, with the npt thread stickin out... and the tape in your left hand... put the tape over the threads, and roll the fitting clockwise, so the tape wraps around it. That will prevent the tape from comin unwound when you screw the fitting in. Another option is to apply some liquid teflon to it as well, or instead of tape.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
You got it. Wrap teflon tape clockwise so when you tighten the fitting it doesnt rip it all apart.

·
need to be lower
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok last i have a couple realy questions.

Slammed i took a recommendation you had about buying male and female disconnects for the valves but thats 18 gauge. So do they have 8 gauge ones that will connect to the relay from the battery. What size wire should i use to ground the relay. And what size wire should run from compressor to relay. You guys are the best this is exactly what i needed. Hopefully the fun can start tommorow.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
yes, they have disconnects just like the 18 gauge ones, only you will only need female disconnects, cuz the male portion is on the relay. Relay ground can be 18 gauge, same as the pressure switch line comin in, and the wire from compressor to relay should be the same as battery to relay.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Is it necessary to use 8gauge from the relay to the compressor, matt? I mean, it's not a long distance at all... I would think 10g would be fine, but if you could, just use the power wire coming off the compressor and hook it directly into the relay, if you can mount them close enough.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
I ran 8 gauge to each compressor, just to be safe, tho 10 gauge would work. And I did exactly what you said cab... hooked the lead on the compressor right to the relay.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
How exactly did you run 8 gauge to the compressor? Mine have 10 gauge leads protruding from the compressor itself.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
I meant to say Relay... I ran 8 gauge to each relay... then just plugged in the line from the compressor into the relay... however, if thats not possible, then just extend it with some 8 awg, since you'll prolly have some left over from runnin it from the bat to relay... and I think the viair 450 leads are 12 or 14 gauge, not 10 gauge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts