S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over in electical, but thought that I'd give you guys a stab at it.
click23 said:
I am thinking of upgrading my ignition, but I'm really not sure where to start. I have looked at MSD's website and it gives a lot of detail on their products, but no info on applications. I don't have mush experience on automotive electrical, gotta start somewhere. I have a 2000 4.3 ZR2. It is stock except for the K&N filter. I am planning on starting with the ignition and a Flowmaster catback 17330.
:lnv:
Thanks,
Robert

·
Strictly Domestic
2,865 Posts
I have the MSD Digital 6 Plus and MSD wires on my 99. Also got the jumper harness for the Digital Plus so I didnt have to splice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing a bit of research here is what I think im going to get.

MSD-8231 MSD Coil
MSD-32839 MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire Sets
MSD-6200 MSD-6A Ignition Control
MSD-8877 MSD Wiring Harness

I can get all of it through Summit fo $303.59 +handling. I think that is the oder that I will get them in-last 2 at the same time.

·
Day: Geek - Night: Nerd
337 Posts
click23: do me a favor... if you are going to get the MSD "kit" keep track of your gas milage and have fun with your truck before you install that stuff. After the install, let me know if you can notice any kind of improvement... I have been wanting to do the same kit on my 2003 S10 Xtreme... I already have the coil and I am going to get the 8.5mm wires this spring... *crosses fingers!*

Thx!

·
I da numba wun tunda!
406 Posts
click23 said:
After doing a bit of research here is what I think im going to get.

MSD-8231 MSD Coil
MSD-32839 MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire Sets
MSD-6200 MSD-6A Ignition Control
MSD-8877 MSD Wiring Harness

I can get all of it through Summit fo $303.59 +handling. I think that is the oder that I will get them in-last 2 at the same time.
IMO you should get the MSD 6AL, it has a rev limiter built-in to it...cant ever be too safe ya know...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1-tunda ,
I was looking at some instaltion instructions and I have a question. How did you wire yours up?

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
with the msd harness wiring is very easy.all plugs right in. othere than that u need to run a hot wire to a 12v constant soruce and a ground. 4 the 12v source there is a stud in the fuse block under the hood that works fine.just need a m6x1. nut to hold it down.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i'm about to hook those same things up to my 97 blazer auto in a week. i've been told the 6al is pointless with an automatic tranny. can anyone explain?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a manual if you miss a gear and floor it you can over rev the engine. So with an automatic unless you break the drive axle or floor in park or neutral you shouldn't over rev it. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't our trucks have one already built in?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The ECM is supposed to have a rev limiter built in.

·
I da numba wun tunda!
406 Posts
Twin-10s said:
with the msd harness wiring is very easy.all plugs right in. othere than that u need to run a hot wire to a 12v constant soruce and a ground. 4 the 12v source there is a stud in the fuse block under the hood that works fine.just need a m6x1. nut to hold it down.
I just hooked mines up to the battery...and as for the rest of it, all I did was install the wiring harness...didnt even have to think where the wires go...its darn near idiot proof!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts