S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 S-10 4X4 with a 3.4 crate motor upgrade. It has just started having ignition problems. It will drive just fine for a day or two and all of a sudden it will just quit. Its not a fuel problem Im just not getting any spark. Tried a new coil and have played with all the distributor and coil connections. Pulled a plug out and turned her over. No spark. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
check out the pink wire that goes to your coil it might be broken or have a bad connection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I saw that little pink wire on the schematic. I havent had a chance yet to wring out the wires. Looks like thats as good a place as any to start. Biggest problem is I need it to stay broken so I can find the trouble. One day it will run fine and the next it will quit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ignition trouble rework

Ok here is what I did. Installed a rebuilt distributor from NAPA
130$ and replaced the coil with a new one (spare) I had laying about since the engine up grade. Ran continuity check on the coil to distibutor wires (2) . Set the timing . I sure hope this fixes the trouble . Towing it home each time it quits is getting expensive.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did you check the ignition module?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have an ignition modual on my S-10. Its a 1985 with coil seperate from distributor. Distributor has vacume advance. But the distributor does have a small modual below the rotor that I suspected as bad. I replaced the distributor for 130$ and havent had any trouble since. I also replaced the coil since I had a new one just sitting around. So far so good she is running smooth.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats the ignition module under the rotor. It can be damaged by a faulty coil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts