S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm not mistaken, the idea behind ignition systems is that they feed the plugs more power, thus coaxing a more powerful spark from them. This is supposed to increase power, smooth out idle, and increace MPG.

My question is this: Do they work and are they worth the $$?

Another thing: Can a stock distributer cap, 7mm wires, and standard ACDelco plugs handle this extra load effectively?

I was looking at an MSD-5 at summit racing for $83.95 for my 91 4.3L TBI Blazer with 135000 miles.

Thanks
-BlazerFRS

·
Registered
51 Posts
To make the most of your upgrades you would want to upgrade your plug wires(MSD 8.5 wires are excellent),a good quality cap w/brass posts(you don't have to pay the extra $$ for MSD,Conrad makes the same quality cap/rotor kit for less).As far as plugs A/C Delco makes a good plug(it comes down to your favorite brand/type here).
Along with this getting more air in(K&N drop in or FIPK or AirRaid)and better flowing exhaust out(is the cat convertor original on your Blazer?At your miles time for a new one or gut the old one - depending on your local laws/inspections)

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already put a 'homegrown' intake on, so I'm good with air on the way in...I haven't touched exhaust yet, though I will probably get a muffler at some point.

I'll have to price a new dist/rotor, ans wires to see if I still think this upgrade it worth the $$.

What about the functionality of the box itself? Does it enhance HP and MPG as promised?

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing--would I need an MSD coil as well, or could the stock handle it?

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
i would get some new coild..there not alot of money!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree go with upgrading the cap/rotor,wires and definitly the coil(do a compare on the MSD and Accel coils,if I remember right the Accel had faster saturation times and longer duration) first.You'll notice a difference in starting and idle,with cleaner throtlle response.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It'll run just fine using all stock everything else. Most have had intermintent misfire problems using the whole host of parts, myself included. I found running a stock coil, decent wires, stock rotor and cap replacements worked better than all aftermarket parts. Most of that was due to the wires being to unrestricted as far a ohms per foot, once I got the overpriced ohms per foot wires off and traded them for just Taylors that ran$40, it ran like neww again! I ran 60K with a MSD6AL and all stock parts, ran another 20K chasing misfires after swaping the other tuneup parts out!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts