S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

My S-10 died the other day. No warning, just stopped. Found that the coil wire to the distributor was burned where it touched one of the heater hoses. Replaced the coil and ignition module before it would start. Runs fine now. Questions:

1: The coil wire was MSD 8.5mm. I was surprized that an MSD wire could arc thru so easily. Is there something better than MSD that I could replace it with?

2: This is the second coil and ignition module I've replaced in about 8 months. Is there something I should be looking for that would cause premature failure of these parts?

Thanks in advance,
John.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sure no expert but I understand that these high power ignitions don't like open or low resistance circuits. I'd maybe suggest a new set of stock spark plug wires and check gap on plugs, or just replace them too. See what happens.

·
2001 S-10 Crew Cab
557 Posts
the_tool_man said:
This is the second coil and ignition module I've replaced in about 8 months. Is there something I should be looking for that would cause premature failure of these parts?
Be sure that you have a well grounded engine and mounting bracket. If in doubt , add a ground. I have run into module problems (3 modules burned out in less that 6 months) on older models that were caused by poorly grounded mounting surfaces/engines.

·
Resident Know-it-all
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions:

I replaced the plugs with new, properly gapped ones, last year. I also put on new stock wires, which failed after 3 months. I thought when I put on MSD wires, those problems would be over, but I guess not. I'm going to make a longer coil wire so I can route it away from the heater hoses and other grounded points. I'll take a look at the engine ground strap, too.

Anyone got a suggestion for better wires than MSD?

Regards,
John.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts